Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tucker Cummings
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Thoughts on Cashing out my 401k

Tucker Cummings
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted

I'm wrestling with cashing out my 401k and I'm wondering if this is something I should do with mine and my wife's 401k. The purpose would be to push it into real estate. Total we have about 70k in our collective 401k. I'm 28 y/o, she is 30 y/o.  

My employer gives a 100% match up to 6% and I max that out at 6%. Her employer does not give a match and we contribute 10% of her pay to the 401k. Overall I'm looking at stocks/401k and we can see a YoY 8%ish return in the stock market for stock funds. But I know I can go buy a deal off the MLS and easily get 30% returns in just cash flow. If I'm doing an off market deal, the returns are even better.

At face value, I'll pay the 30% in taxes and penalties and easily make it back in real estate. So I want to do it, but I'm just wondering if I'm overlooking anything or if this is a bad idea. Just right now the way I see it, I have 70k just sitting there that I can't leverage.

Any recommendations or experiences?

Loading replies...