Trying to decide on my next move

Trying to decide on my next move

New to Real Estate · NYC · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes

Hey, everyone. I am new but, at the age of 45, I need to get on the ball. I bought a place recently in upstate NY. A perfect year-round location to get short term renters, with hiking, skiing, kayaking, etc. 

Now, as that is about to close, I'm am thinking ahead. I can take up to $200k in equity out of my current home in Queens, but I'm not sure what my first option should be. I can't decide between flip, long term, BRRR, or what have you. So many options have my head exploding. I've been looking into RoofStock as well, but then that is long term. BRRR has me really interested, but I am a newb and really don't want to screw this up. I was poor most of my life and I never want to go back there. Private lending is another option.

Point is, I don't know which direction to go. Or where to look (i.e. here in NY, NJ, CT, PA....or. as in RoofStock- across the country). Then you have the issue of how to get the equity out- HELOC vs Cash out refi. I'd eventually like to get to a point where I could work with others and build something where I'm not using all of my own money to make deals.

I'm rambling aren't I? What can you tell me? What's my goal? My goal is to pave the way for a job so I can retire from teaching early and do something for me. I'd like to make at least as much as I do now. 14 years teaching impoverished youth has been amazing, but it's hard on the body and soul. I can't do it until I'm 62. 

Thanks for reading (if you made it)

3Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2019 · 370 posts · 330 votes
5y

Hey Richard!  It looks like you have plenty of options which is an amazing thing.  If I were in your place I would not give my money for a company to invest (I don't know anything about rootstock but I trust myself more than any company).

Since, as you know, New York is very difficult to invest in, I would really look more into out of state investing!  Trust me when I tell you that this is an amazing way to make a greater return and avoid maintaining the property yourself as well!

For example, in my latest deal (Columbus, OH) I am making such a greater return with a property manager than I would in New York managing the property myself!

So If you are not looking to work forever I would take your investing in your own hands instead of having a company take care of it!  If you have any questions I would love to help

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2019 · 370 posts · 330 votes
    5y

    Hey Richard!  It looks like you have plenty of options which is an amazing thing.  If I were in your place I would not give my money for a company to invest (I don't know anything about rootstock but I trust myself more than any company).

    Since, as you know, New York is very difficult to invest in, I would really look more into out of state investing!  Trust me when I tell you that this is an amazing way to make a greater return and avoid maintaining the property yourself as well!

    For example, in my latest deal (Columbus, OH) I am making such a greater return with a property manager than I would in New York managing the property myself!

    So If you are not looking to work forever I would take your investing in your own hands instead of having a company take care of it!  If you have any questions I would love to help

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    So if I understand this right, you are a homeowner with your first investment property about to close that is located in a "perfect year-round location for short-term renters."

    Stop.  Take your right hand and touch your back.  Now give yourself a pat on the back for all you've accomplished right there.  Congrats! 

    Now forget everything else you're ruminating over and prepare to close on that property and get it rented with a bunch of happy guests who will be enjoying the great outdoors.  That's a tall order since you'll need to furnish it, get housekeeping and keep those standards high, get marketing underway, more.

    Stay in that lane until that new business is up and running and doing well.  Then seek out other opportunities - not the method.  As a former wealth manager, I can tell you that building wealth comes from executing a well-thought out plan and celebrating/learning from each step.

    You've got this...

  • New to Real Estate · NYC · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thanks for your replies! Ryan, I think you make a good point about doing it myself and really knowing where my money is going. Patricia, you are right. I should make sure this first deal is up and running before I take on more. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Hey Richard! I think you ultimately need to embrace that fear & just make your move anyway.  Fear usually comes up when we're getting out of our comfort zones and taking action on events that will change our lives.  I think it's great that you currently own two properties.  There are always going to be risks no matter what. I like to just be very cautious and be as risk averse as possible when going into something! I hope the words of encouragement helped.  I'll be shooting you a dm.

  • New to Real Estate · NYC · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thank you, Raphael. Appreciate it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.