Best way to educate yourself on RE investing

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Central Florida · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 19 votes
5y

The way I educated myself was reading Ken McElroy's books: ABCs of Real Estate Investing & The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing.

Next I went through hours of BP podcast; listening to the guest tell their stories of how they got to where they're at right now. 

I've also gained information here...on the forums. If I have a question on a specific matter of investing then I put in some key words in the search engine and explore what people are saying.

Lastly, and probably them most important one, go out and talk with people. Attend your local REIA. Talk with potential business partners such as Property Managers, Bankers/Lenders, RE Attorneys. Some of my extensive knowledge has come from picking up the phone and calling these folks...asking what services they can provide to me as an Investor.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Central Florida · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    The way I educated myself was reading Ken McElroy's books: ABCs of Real Estate Investing & The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing.

    Next I went through hours of BP podcast; listening to the guest tell their stories of how they got to where they're at right now. 

    I've also gained information here...on the forums. If I have a question on a specific matter of investing then I put in some key words in the search engine and explore what people are saying.

    Lastly, and probably them most important one, go out and talk with people. Attend your local REIA. Talk with potential business partners such as Property Managers, Bankers/Lenders, RE Attorneys. Some of my extensive knowledge has come from picking up the phone and calling these folks...asking what services they can provide to me as an Investor.

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    I educated myself through mistakes.  It was 1996 - dial up, no google, no Facebook, flip phone, very few books on real estate investing.  You did things. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  Mostly , I just talked to people that were much smarter than me.  This really is common sense.

  • Real Estate Agent · Prior Lake, MN · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 63 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed I have read many of the books on real estate investing from the most popular writers.  I thought I was educating myself to limit my mistakes "once" a i decided to start purchasing.  What I was really doing was executing "paralysis by analysis" or reading.  I've listened to most of the BP Podcasts with Brandon, Josh and David.  I would tell you assess your mindset and see if you have a natural tendency to have a fixed mindset or a growth mindset.  The growth mindset allows you to move forward and learn as you go and practice the craft of investing. I had a fixed mindset and was paralyzed to move forward.  I say all that to say pick a book or two (I like Gary Keller, Ken McElroy and David Greene) and follow what it says, they all say mostly the same thing.  Play the game under control with a growth mindset that allows you to learn as you go and make mistakes.  Jump in feet first and start investing with money you are willing to lose if it came down to it.  Good Luck!

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Definitely the bigger pockets podcast and their book on managing rental properties. I have since shifted my reading to books on relationships, negotiating, time management and etc. 

    I am a big fan of personal development. One of my 2020 goals was to read 6 business minded books. For a guy who was only reading a book or two a year for the last few years, that was a big jump for me! Always be learning :)

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Account Closed There are a lot of ways, the best that I have experienced is on your path try everything that comes your way (i.e. wholesaling, flipping, renting, real estate agent). You do not have to take these on in full capacity, take them on with a partner/mentor. 

    As you go through those paths you'll build up first hand experience (key to the best education), and this path as you partner or get a mentor is another key to your investing to gain more knowledge at a rapid rate compared to going out on your own. 

    First hand experience and mentorship/partnership two biggest/best ways to educate yourself. 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    podcast and mentorship

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    It's hands-down, in-person and now, Zoom, REI meetups. You can read all the books and listen to all the podcasts and attend all the webinars you want (all good things as supplements for sure and 100 percent necessary), but you will remain stuck until you make in-person investor-to-investor relationships and find out who they use for what and how they do their business.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Account Closed do you own a primary residence?

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    Simultaneously:

    1. Network with other investors to ask questions - Forums are great

    2. Listen to podcasts while you're working, working out, driving, etc.

    3. Read books... lots and lots of books. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.