Can a single investor impact the entire market?

Can a single investor impact the entire market?

Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 3 votes

Today I was driving around looking for potential investment properties to buy-rehab-and sell. I have recently been having a tough time getting anything under contract due to the lack of inventory and the level of competition in my target market.

Anyways, today I was given a lead on two properties that I could acquire for 15k a piece. Since I have come to the realization that I will have to expand my approach and may have a hard time finding something in my desired areas I decided to go check out the houses and scope out the surrounding homes. As you can imagine the area was very run down and many of the houses were very distressed. I was hoping to find other houses nearby that had been rehabbed and flipped for a profit. Unfortunately there were very few homes that appeared to be renovated. The nearby comps were no very promising either.

It is very sad to see homes located in such a prime spot only miles away from the city and other desirable locations that are so run down and low in value. The area is filled with SFH's that have the potential to be extremely beautiful with large lots.

I am debating on if I would like to take on a project like this, especially since other investors have steered clear of this market and see no potential for profit. One of these houses I looked at has a very solid base that has not been vandalized and would require an estimated rehab of about 25k for what I would like to sell the house for.

What I would like to know is do you all think Investing in certain areas can have a domino affect and attract other investors to the area? In my opinion I feel that all it takes is one investor willing to take a calculated risk on one of these homes to cause a chain reaction and bring value to the surrounding market. When people mention a certain area is becoming trendy it always seems to correlate directly to the housing value in that area. So if someone can afford to take on a risk and is willing to take the chance, then why not? Someone has to start the trend, right?

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    It sounds like the area you're talking about isn't just 1 or 2 blocks. The reason that there is nobody willing to take that first step is likely because that person would reap very little reward from doing so.

    If you were able to acquire a lot of the properties in the area and rent/develop them over time, it may be a lucrative endeavor. But being the first guy on the scene in a run-down part of town will probably not get you very far if you're just purchasing a couple of the properties with hopes of a relatively quick turnaround.

    -Michael

  • Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Michael,
    You are correct in the 1 or 2 block statement, as the high levels of distress span over many miles.

    You mentioned, "If you were able to acquire a lot of the properties in the area and rent/develop them over time, it may be a lucrative endeavor." And also, "being the first guy on the scene in a run-down part of town will probably not get you very far " I somewhat agree with your statements but would like to make a few comments.

    Although risky, being the first investor on the scene can have its advantages. Two in particular which I think are very nice, are the surplus of inventory and rock bottom prices. I understand that I am taking a risk by having a 40K investment in one of these homes after rehab, but with a desired sales price of say 60K am I really being that optimistic. With the recent increase in home purchases and the ability for buyers to obtain an FHA loan much easier compared to the past I think offering a 60K Turn Key Property may work. Even though it is not the greatest area I can guarantee you there are people that would like to be in that area as well as own their own home.

    I know I probably sound a little crazy with all my speculation but I have to look at all strategies with the level of competition going on right now. Its a risk Im may be willing to take

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.