Lake of the Ozarks AirBnB

Lake of the Ozarks AirBnB

Real Estate Broker · Cedar Falls, IA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote

I have been looking at some houses to rent at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Anyone have any insight if now is a good time to buy, if the market is saturated with short term rentals, and long term appreciation? All advice is appreciated. We have been looking at homes in the $300-400k range, with the main intention of short term rental opportunities. 

Thanks,

Jordan

1Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 32 votes
5y

If you're wanting that market specifically, the ROI will probably be average. Branson is probably a better market for STR returns though if it's just an investment for you. The housing market is increasing at the lake right now too. If you are planning to use it as a vacation home with a little STR income on the side, I would say LOZ, but I'm from there so I'm biased.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Lake of the Ozarks, MO · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Hello Jordan, 

    I am glad to see you’re interested in investing here at the lake. I live and invest here myself. The market has been extremely busy this summer. Properties in that price range sell very quickly. There is a large difference in value depending on where your location is on the Lake, street to street or lot to lot. The short term market is very strong during the summer months but historically has a long off-season. I personally feel the off-season will be shorter and shorter every year as more people discover this beautiful location. You have to be careful when investing in a market that has a long season 3-4 months with low to no income. I would love to talk with you more about all the ins and outs of this unique real estate market. You should give me a call sometime.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    If you're wanting that market specifically, the ROI will probably be average. Branson is probably a better market for STR returns though if it's just an investment for you. The housing market is increasing at the lake right now too. If you are planning to use it as a vacation home with a little STR income on the side, I would say LOZ, but I'm from there so I'm biased.

  • Investor · Chesterfield , MO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Jordan Porter

    This year the Lake of the Ozarks had 10 million visitors vs. 5.4 million for an average year and a lot of, but not all of the demand is expected to to continue. The demand is clearly there but homes were selling very very quickly this year which pushed up selling prices. If you buy right and make sure the numbers work it is probably a good investment especially if you plan on using the property sometimes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.