Has anyone used Maryland SmartBuy2.0 student loan forgiveness?

Has anyone used Maryland SmartBuy2.0 student loan forgiveness?

New to Real Estate · Arlington, VA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

I am very new to real estate investing and I have been listening to BiggerPockets for a few weeks now. While watching a YouTube video, one of the ads that played was listing off incentives to buy real estate in the DMV area. Apparently Maryland has a program called SmartBuy which provides student loan assistance for first-time home buyers. 

Here is a description:

The Maryland SmartBuy 2.0 program helps homebuyers with student debt purchase a home. The program is designed to allow borrowers to pay off student debt during the purchase of an eligible home. Maryland SmartBuy financing provides up to 15% of the home purchase price for the borrower to pay off their outstanding student debt, up to a maximum of $40,000. This is structured as a 0% interest loan, forgivable over 5 years.


So I was wondering if anyone has used this program and what the experience has been like. For context, I have a little over 20k in student loans and live in an apartment where I pay rent. I am very interested in buying real estate and if 20k worth of student loans paid off can be added to an already good deal, I would like to explore my options for making this work. I'm set to attend an open house this upcoming Sunday (8/2) for a property that needs some rehab.

0Reply
31 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    Hey Michael! I'm aware this post is quite old, however I utilized this program back in 2019 and can say I feel it has paid dividends. I used the SmartBuy program to pay off almost $33k in student loans and have househacked my extra bedrooms since. The only times it got a little hairy was during the pandemic when I wasn't used to having vacancy. However my actual mortgage for a 4bd 3bth home ended up being the same (if not better in some areas) than a 1bd in DC, so all in all it's been great. 

    2024 I'll be eligible to refi, sell, buy another primary, or really do anything without paying back any of the student loan debt. Some people have criticized the .25% increase in interest rate HOWEVER, it's literally only 5 years and if you do the math you would have paid way more than that in loan interest if you choose to pay it off on your own terms. The only caveat is the inability to purchase a primary for 5 years, so you would have to buy strictly investment properties for the duration of that time. 

    If you want to connect further, please pm me! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.