What's the best offer? - $Escalation -OR- High offer + Money back

What's the best offer? - $Escalation -OR- High offer + Money back

Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 57 votes

Hello BP! 

Wanted to get some perspectives on what's most appealing to a seller when putting in an offer. Would love to know your thoughts on this. I have framed up a question specific to my experience, but have also posed a very general question that may be more valuable to answer. I'll defer to you which you want to take a stab at ;) Thanks in advance for providing your perspective!

Here's some background:

Single family rental property is for sale on MLS, but the list price is such that I could yield positive cash flow if rented. Other real estate investors are drawn to this property, and it's obvious to other investors this is an appealing property. Thus, a competitive landscape. As a result, the property will likely be under contract within 1-2 days. That leaves me with enough time to scout and put in one offer. I will not have insight as to what others are offering.

For the purpose of this example, let's assume all financing would be the same.

I found myself pondering between 1) making an offer with an escalation clause VS offering 2) far more than asking price(let's say it's higher than any of the escalation clause thresholds) and asking for the seller to pay some in closing costs(or some other cost). 

It seems like the escalation clause is the most reliable in winning this blind bidding war, but I was curious to experiment with offering more ahead of time and asking them to pay some back at closing. 

What would you recommend?

Maybe another way to ask my question: if you knew competition was fierce, how would you recommend an opening offer?

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y

    If it is a competitive situation, then operate under the assumption that it will be impossible to get an offer accepted with closing cost help even if you increase the price.

    Use an escalation clause, and use an escalation  amount with some teeth in it...no rinky dink $1,000 increments.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    6y

    @Tommy Brant

    How sure can you be that there will be multiple offers? Also, did you get any indication of why they are selling? Act quickly and get your offer in first and make it as clean as possible. Sometimes offering over asking price triggers something in the seller's head like "wait a second, maybe I under-priced this thing and should wait to see what other people will pay." A well timed close-to-asking price offer may work better. 

    Also, I have found a handful of seller's agents who aren't familiar with the escalation clauses and aren't used to them. After I explained it 3 times to one agent, I finally realized he would never be able to explain it to his seller, so I changed the offer. If you do write one, make sure you have a cap in your escalation clause (ie $1K over the highest offer, up to $120K). 

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    Great insights, @Russell Brazil! Gives me some ideas for the next one.

    Thanks @Mason Hickman. There's a handful of properties that have been snatched off the market before I could blink. Working with my realtor to help me keep a pulse on the market, and he's been very helpful. You're right - it's a very delicate balance that I don't trigger the an unwanted reaction with a too-aggressive bid. In this case, we discovered there was a deadline for offers, and figured we had one shot. *crosses fingers*

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.