How does being near railroad tracks affect property value?

How does being near railroad tracks affect property value?

Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 307 votes

Being someone who works in investment real estate, I tend to come across quite a few discounted properties that are located near railroad tracks. I've heard a few opinions on this, and I've seen varying evidence in my market research.

As an example, just this evening I'm pulling sold comps for a house and one of the highest sold price per sq ft comps is located literally right next to a railroad track, and has a massive commercial building right in front of it. These are supposed to majorly drag down a properties value, but this is my 2nd highest priced comp on price per sq ft. How is this? It sold FHA so it is an owner occupant as well, not an investor, in 17 days on market.

While were on the subject, does being near railroad tracks affect rent rates? Curious to hear feedback on both of these. 

0Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

I am just thinking of that scene from "My Cousin Vinny"

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 471 votes
    6y

    Everything is "it depends".

    Like, my first question is, OK, there's a train track -- is there a train? No train, who cares.

    Second: you say there's a commercial building in front of it -- is this a commercial area? Manufacturing plants and such don't particularly care about train noise.

    Third: given that a railroad track has an adverse effect on the price -- how is the price of this property relative to that? I mean, if you're getting a $10K property for $9K, great! never-mind that 5 miles down the road a similar property is $15K. In the $15K area, you'd expect pay around $15K. The railroad tracks mean the price is around $10K (or whatever, made up numbers). What's important is, for whatever the price is, do the numbers work?

    Finally, and also important: are you moving in? or what? If you're renting the place, work the numbers considering that you won't get the same rent as the $15K place down the road. If you're flipping the place, consider you need to pay $7K or less so you can flip it, fix it, and still make a profit. If you're moving in, what, are you crazy?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Hi Stone, 

    I take it you've never seen this old "I  Love Lucy" clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRwHr81DVxg

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I am just thinking of that scene from "My Cousin Vinny"

  • Investor · Wake Forest Area NC · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 70 votes
    6y

    It's one of the "nevers" many of us keep a list of. 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    I wouldn't buy a property near a train if someone paid me to take it. I lived 2 blocks away from one, once. Never again.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    NOPE !!!

  • Member since 2024 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    Hi Stone, 

    I take it you've never seen this old "I  Love Lucy" clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRwHr81DVxg

    Your response wins!!! hahahaha


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.