Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Stone Saathoff
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
How does being near railroad tracks affect property value?

Stone Saathoff
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted

Being someone who works in investment real estate, I tend to come across quite a few discounted properties that are located near railroad tracks. I've heard a few opinions on this, and I've seen varying evidence in my market research.

As an example, just this evening I'm pulling sold comps for a house and one of the highest sold price per sq ft comps is located literally right next to a railroad track, and has a massive commercial building right in front of it. These are supposed to majorly drag down a properties value, but this is my 2nd highest priced comp on price per sq ft. How is this? It sold FHA so it is an owner occupant as well, not an investor, in 17 days on market.

While were on the subject, does being near railroad tracks affect rent rates? Curious to hear feedback on both of these. 

Loading replies...