Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Luis Alvarez
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas TX (dallas, tx)
Votes |
Buying with owner financing, selling with owner financing Texas

Luis Alvarez
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas TX (dallas, tx)
Posted

I'm new to doing owner financing deals. I'm having a hard time figuring out what contracts to use when buying with a wrap around mortgage. Besides the purchase and sale agreement what other contracts would I need? 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

Hey @Luis Alvarez if you are buying and the owner has a mortgage, yes, you can do a wrap around mortgage. When you sell that same house, you probably want to have the buyer get a new loan. Otherwise, you would have a wrap of a wrap. Technically possible, but not recommended. It is just easier to cash out of the deal and get everyone's name off the mortgages.

As far as contracts, use the TREC contract. There is a space for special provisions. Spell it out. Use the addendums for owner financing. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Garcia
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

Hi guys, I realize this thread is old but it is exactly the kind of conversation I was looking for. Owner financing in TX, specifically San Antonio!

On the other hand if I buy an wrap or other type of owner financed property, how am I protected from a potential foreclosure on the seller?
My questions is, let's say something bad happen on the sellers life say divorce, accident, bankruptcy anything like that and while I keep posting my monthly payments to the seller the payments from the seller to the lender stop.

Do I have any recourse at that point if the lender decides to foreclose the property due to seller's default?

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

If I am the buyer on the wrap, I would want to make the wrap part the same terms as my loan to the seller. If there is more that I owe to the seller, create a 2nd or actually it would be a third to the seller. I would pay the sellers mortgage since it is the same amount as my 1st. The seller is getting his money from my 2nd or third on the property.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Newbie here but I own an owner financed land. Question: 1. Can you sell an owner financed property? 
2. what are the implications/precautions - pros/cons?