Seniors Not Ready to Let Go

Seniors Not Ready to Let Go

Contractor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote

While driving for dollars, I saw a FOR SALE BY OWNER sign on a vacant lot. I called the number and the person on the phone tells me that he can't meet me on the property because he is 90 years old and has a hard time moving around. Right away i knew i wanted to help him whether or not the was financial gain for me. He was OK with meeting at his house. I came over, brought some soup and we talked for a few hours. He claimed a multi family complex or 3 single family homes could be built and was asking $250k. I went home that day and did some research. Turns out only two single family homes could be built and tax value of the land was $38,000. Other homes in this neighborhood are selling at $240k.  I met with him again and told him what I was able to dig up. Even showed him the emails between me and a planner at the building department stating what can and cannot be built on the lot. Right away he went on the defensive, saying that I was decreasing the value of it to cut his asking price. Since our numbers were so far apart, we left it alone. I still keep in contact with him and swing by from time to time to help him around the house.

So here are my questions:

As an investor, how do you show facts in a way that doesn't make the seller feel that they are wrong for asking what they are asking?

How do you let older seniors know, as respectfully as possible,  that time is not necessarily on their side?

Any help is appreciated. I come across this a lot and my deal count is at 0.

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Jan Allen. Sounds like he is like a lot of sellers and has overvalued his property.  As far as telling him "time is not on his side , it's not your place to add that to the discussion. I'm sure he's reminded of that every day.  

As a SENIOR myself, I'd kick you out of my house and there would be no further negotiagions, if you brought that up with me. 

Move on.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jan Allen. Sounds like he is like a lot of sellers and has overvalued his property.  As far as telling him "time is not on his side , it's not your place to add that to the discussion. I'm sure he's reminded of that every day.  

    As a SENIOR myself, I'd kick you out of my house and there would be no further negotiagions, if you brought that up with me. 

    Move on.

  • Contractor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Bob B. Thanks for your response. You’re absolutely right. I would never bring that up in a negotiation. He brought it up a few times which is why I asked the community the question. He kept reminding me that his motivation for selling was he’s age. I wanted to know if there’s a respectful way of agreeing.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jan Allen I'd walk.  You are too far apart and he's a seller with unrealistic expectations.  Just let him know you are interested and keep in touch occasionally.  

  • Contractor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Bob B. Thanks Bob. That’s the direction I was leaning.

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2017 · 517 posts · 772 votes
    6y

    It's the old adage "you can't create motivation." 

    Time isn't on his side, but obviously money isn't his motivation. He figures he could probably pass it on. Plus, it's a pride thing...they don't want to "give it away" even if they have no use for the property nor derive income from it. Just pride.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Jan Allen I think bob b’s advice is important. Keeping in touch in a friendly fashion, wishing him luck in the sale and keeping to your numbers may help. Do this with 10 people it will work on 1.

    One great and truth based strategy is agreeing with him during these conversations and talking about how time affects YOU. “ Yes I can see why YOU value it at 250k, it’s one reason why I’m interested. It’s a good plot. And here’s what I have to invest to make it worth that number.Others may have a different cost structure. “. “ I see the neighborhood coming up, over the long term say in the next 5-10 years and I want to profit from that. I don’t mind giving you some of that upside but I do need to make a profit If I’m holding that long”

  • Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I've dealt with older sellers and family members, and one thing I've found is older folks often have trouble "letting go."  It's hard to tell the motivation.  Sometimes they look around and see the the memories accumulated over the past 20-50 years.  Maybe they taught little Johnny how to dribble a basketball in the drive way.  Maybe they put a tire swing in that tree in the front yard for their first grand baby.  Maybe they talked to someone whom they trust who said their house should be worth $X, and so they won't let it go for less than $X and feel like any negotiation is an effort to "cheat" them.  Or something completely different.  

    At the end of the day, your numbers have to work.  It's kind of you to help out around the house, and as long as you're cool doing that without any expectation of reward, then it should be a good relationship and one you can be pleased with.  I wouldn't hold my breath on this, but I've heard stories of seniors who won't sell a house to person X, but they bequeath it to them in their Will.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.