Creative Ideas to Increase Cashflow on Buy and Holds

Creative Ideas to Increase Cashflow on Buy and Holds

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 8 votes

Hey ya'll!  I've been using my time during stay-at-home to put together some processes.  I was thinking that it would be a great idea to have a list of creative ways to add value and increase cash flow on buy and hold properties.  

A few that I've thought of:

  • Convert dining rooms to bedrooms
  • Convert large single family to duplex
  • Billboard advertising if the home is next to a highway or busy street
  • Subdivide a large lot and build another rental
  • Convert to student housing

What creative things have all ya'll done to make a good deal even better? 

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes
6y

Some others that I've used/am considering/had recommended to me:

  • On-site, coin-operated laundry machines (most relevant for multi-family properties)
  • Renting out storage space in basement or on-site shed
  • Renting out unused off-street parking (where I live, winter RV parking is at a premium)
  • Converting non-conforming to conforming rooms (including basements) to allow for re-organization and classification as bedrooms
  • Adding accessory dwelling unit(s) to your property (may not even require separating lots)
  • Separating utility metering (or installing individual unit readers) on multi-unit properties that are currently metered together
  • Depending on your market, furnishing a portion of your units and renting them out fully furnished to shorter-term renters

*Some (most) of these will depend on how individual properties are zoned, what zoning requirements are in your locale, and what there is demand for in your market.*

Eager to follow along and see what other suggestions are shared!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 323 votes
    6y

    @Alexandra Wenzel I’ve heard of people using an app called Padsplit. You put your house up for rent, and people rent out the bedrooms individually. So for example rather than renting a 3 bedroom house to one family for $1200, you could get three separate parties to pay $600 per bedroom. Probably more management intensive than some other options, but if cash flow is what you’re after...

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Alexandra Wenzel - I turned a SFH into a short term rental for transient workers. Normal rent would be $1300/month. I'm getting $2600 when fully occupied.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Carlson:

    @Alexandra Wenzel I’ve heard of people using an app called Padsplit. You put your house up for rent, and people rent out the bedrooms individually. So for example rather than renting a 3 bedroom house to one family for $1200, you could get three separate parties to pay $600 per bedroom. Probably more management intensive than some other options, but if cash flow is what you’re after...

     Ooooo, I'll look into that!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Ablan:

    @Alexandra Wenzel - I turned a SFH into a short term rental for transient workers. Normal rent would be $1300/month. I'm getting $2600 when fully occupied.

     Probably a good demand near hospitals right now especially.  I have a family member that worked on oil pipelines and he was also always looking for temporary housing.  That's awesome you found that niche and it seems like it's working well for you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Alexandra Wenzel add parking and storage

  • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Some others that I've used/am considering/had recommended to me:

    • On-site, coin-operated laundry machines (most relevant for multi-family properties)
    • Renting out storage space in basement or on-site shed
    • Renting out unused off-street parking (where I live, winter RV parking is at a premium)
    • Converting non-conforming to conforming rooms (including basements) to allow for re-organization and classification as bedrooms
    • Adding accessory dwelling unit(s) to your property (may not even require separating lots)
    • Separating utility metering (or installing individual unit readers) on multi-unit properties that are currently metered together
    • Depending on your market, furnishing a portion of your units and renting them out fully furnished to shorter-term renters

    *Some (most) of these will depend on how individual properties are zoned, what zoning requirements are in your locale, and what there is demand for in your market.*

    Eager to follow along and see what other suggestions are shared!

  • Investor · NC · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

    @Alexandra Wenzel add parking and storage

     Hi Jonathan ,

    can you please suggest any vendor and their pricing which you have used to rent storage space .

    Thanks in advance

    Rgds,
    sathiya

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Buy 100 more units.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @sathyia gane 

    I meant create some kind of exclusive use storage on the property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.