Where to live for High Earners Not Rich Yet (HENRYs) in Seattle

Where to live for High Earners Not Rich Yet (HENRYs) in Seattle

Ashleigh EvansPro Member
Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 15 votes

All, 

A friend of mine has been living in downtown Seattle with a roommate since 2014. Her roommate is moving out, so she is looking for a new place to live. In my experience, math usually works out so that either renting or buying makes more financial sense. In Seattle, neither is a particularly favorable. 1 bdrms are around 1600-2000, while buying a 1bdrm condo is 350-400K. I’m not sure how to advise. Maybe a 203K loan? She works in Everett, WA. 

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael HaasBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
6y

@Scott Mac sounds like you're loving those one bed condos with $600 a month HOA dues lol. If you have to rent it after you start a family it'll never ever cash flow, but the good news is you can definitely sell it for a massive profit because real estate always goes up-up-up!

My vote is to househack something in north Seattle, 5+ bedrooms with a second kitchen if possible, but she could also grab a little 2 bed with a room-mate if she can find a good deal on one. The bull market seems to be ending in stocks, I think RE will fare far better with low mortgage rates but I still wouldn't touch more volitile assets like luxury condos with a 5 foot pole.

HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Stevens, WA · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Ashleigh Evans

    My initial thought is to stick with roommates and save save save! If her end goal is to buy something. Does you friend want to live in the city only? Snohomish Co. is more affordable (especially if she is already commuting to Everett) but not necessarily cheap. Also, is your friend open to a project or is she a move in ready kind of person?

    Jason

  • Real Estate Agent · Mukilteo, WA · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    Living in Seattle while working in Everett is baffling to me. Unless she just enjoys traffic and homeless people defecating on the sidewalks haha. I'd recommend finding a place in the middle like Lynnwood or edmonds.

  • Rental Property Investor · Everett, WA · Member since 2013 · 389 posts · 222 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Flake:

    Living in Seattle while working in Everett is baffling to me. Unless she just enjoys traffic and homeless people defecating on the sidewalks haha. I'd recommend finding a place in the middle like Lynnwood or edmonds.

    I live in Seattle and commute to EVERETT and enjoy all of the above. Haha. Also my wife works in South Seattle so we split the difference 

  • Ashleigh EvansPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    It’s been a while since I was stationed in Everett, but while I was there the further north you went, the more rural it got. Lynn wood and Mukilteo were nice, but Everett was terrible. And marysville was rural. She’s lived in Seattle for 6 years, so her community is there. 

    She’s a move-in ready kind of person, but I’m working on her. I think a fixer-upper with a 203K is probably the best option. Then she can find roommates. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    If it were me, (In Seattle) I'd pick someplace with a waterfront view. 

    Up high in a building, but not too high because long elevator rides are boring.

    In an area with things I like to do that are close.

    With reasonable parking available for guests when I entertain.

    And a rooftop pool, hot tub, lounge area would be nice.

    Plus a community workout room, and some kind of storage available for things like off season Christmas decorations, and etc...

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Scott Mac sounds like you're loving those one bed condos with $600 a month HOA dues lol. If you have to rent it after you start a family it'll never ever cash flow, but the good news is you can definitely sell it for a massive profit because real estate always goes up-up-up!

    My vote is to househack something in north Seattle, 5+ bedrooms with a second kitchen if possible, but she could also grab a little 2 bed with a room-mate if she can find a good deal on one. The bull market seems to be ending in stocks, I think RE will fare far better with low mortgage rates but I still wouldn't touch more volitile assets like luxury condos with a 5 foot pole.

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    6y

    Get a townhouse or a house where you can live in one room and rent out the other rooms.

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    If it were me, (In Seattle) I'd pick someplace with a waterfront view. 

    Up high in a building, but not too high because long elevator rides are boring.

    In an area with things I like to do that are close.

    With reasonable parking available for guests when I entertain.

    And a rooftop pool, hot tub, lounge area would be nice.

    Plus a community workout room, and some kind of storage available for things like off season Christmas decorations, and etc...

    But don't forget, there are rainy days here. ;) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.