Fannie Mae is denying request for refund on earnest deposit

Fannie Mae is denying request for refund on earnest deposit

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP! I need your advice. I put down a $5k deposit on a Fannie Mae owned property and they do not want to refund it. It's my first investment property and the plan was to purchase with FHA, renovate, occupy, and sell in a year. I was working out of state temporarily and set to return a month after closing.

The week of closing, my employer informed me they had to cancel my temporary contract and I either had to work in the out-of-state office permanently or be laid off. I told them I would stay. Long story short the underwriter found out and denied my mortgage at the 11th hour. 

We scrambled to find another way to finance and Fannie Mae granted an extension for hard money. I ended up being denied for the hard money loan as well so we had to cancel the contract.

Fannie Mae is claiming that because the loan commitment date was passed, and they granted an extension for the 2nd loan, it is their policy not to refund the earnest deposit. 

My realtor is adamant I should be refunded. I briefly spoke to an attorney but would prefer to resolve this without taking it to court. Anybody have experience with this? 

ps. Fannie Mae SOLD the property last month and are still holding my deposit in escrow. I've been told that's possibly illegal? 

Thank you in advance! 

0Reply
31 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Alicia Miller what contingency are you using to get out of the contract? Did you have a financing contingency ?

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @ Caleb Heimsoth Yes, we believe it should be returned based on the financing clause. Here the language from the contract. We cooperated with all requests for documentation.
    --

    5. FINANCING: This Agreement is contingent on the Purchaser obtaining financing for the purchase of the Property.

    For all financing, the Purchaser shall apply for a loan in the amount of $ xx with a term of xx years, at prevailing rates, terms and conditions. The Purchaser shall complete and submit to a mortgage lender, of the Purchaser’s choice, an application for a mortgage loan containing the terms set forth in this paragraph within five (5) calendar days of the Effective Date, and shall use diligent efforts to obtain a mortgage loan commitment by 09/04/2019. 

    If, despite the Purchaser’s diligent efforts, the Purchaser cannot obtain a mortgage loan commitment by the specified date, then either the Purchaser or the Seller may terminate the Agreement by giving written notice to the other party. The Purchaser’s notice must include a copy of the loan application, proof of the application date, and a copy of the denial letter from the prospective lender. In the event of a proper termination of the Agreement under this paragraph, the earnest money deposit shall be returned to the Purchaser. The Purchaser agrees to cooperate and comply with all requests for documents and information from the Purchaser’s chosen lender during the loan application process.

    Failure of the Purchaser to comply with such requests from the lender that results in the denial of the mortgage loan will be a breach of the Agreement and the Seller shall be entitled to retain any earnest money deposited by the Purchaser.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    So that says right there, as long as you cancelled by September 4th you should get your money back. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bill B.:

    So that says right there, as long as you cancelled by September 4th you should get your money back. 

    We did not obtain mortgage approval by the 9/4 commitment date but we were on track to have mortgage approval before the contracted 9/18 closing date. We had everything lined up and were just waiting for completion of title review when the deal fell apart on 9/12.

    Is Fannie Mae really entitled to keep my deposit because the mortgage wasn't approved by 9/4?

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    If you don’t have anything else in writing I was going to say yes. It says right in black and white that on that date either side can cancel and the earnest money will be refunded. Assuming you supply the application and denial letter. As I reread it, it doesn’t say how long you have to cancel with that paperwork. 

    You might be able to find a lawyer to argue that part of it?  I’ve never done that. Hopefully someone on here will know if you a chance. I don’t see any outs other than it doesn’t seem to say how long you have to cancel if you can’t get a loan by that date. 

    You didn’t say what state. That may or may not be relevant.

    The contracts I’ve signed they usually say the buyer will say by “this date” if they were unable to get financing, once that date passes you can’t use it as an excuse. It’s like your inspection time period. Once it’s comes and goes it’s not a legal excuse anymore. 

    Anyone out there more knowledgeable out there want to chime in on whether that’s a drop dead date?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.