What is better? Refinance or Home Equity loan in my situation?

What is better? Refinance or Home Equity loan in my situation?

Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hi all,

First of all, I just want to say that this community has a ton of great information and for the past week I've been reading/observing so much information about real estate. We are looking into real estate investment for passive income/retirement and is interested in the BRRR method.

We currently owned two properties. One out of state rental that is currently rented for $2700 with a mortgage of around $291,000. The house is estimated to be around $620,000. I have another property that is my primary residence currently valued at $246,000 and is paid off.


Based on my situation above.

1. Is it better for me to take out a Cash-Out refinance or Home Equity Loan and which property? The rental or my primary?

Thank you!

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I don't see how you're making any money on the OOS rental, @Andy Nguyen. Beyond that, your Return on Equity (ROE) stinks. Without any further info, I'd say it's best to sell that and redeploy the $300k. If you want/need more capital consider a HELOC on your primary. The fees are very low and you don't pay any interest until you actually use the money. The key is to use it for short-term financing. Perfect for a BRRRR.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi Jaysen,

    Thanks for the information, as you can see I am not a real estate guru. :-). The renters are more of a family than renters now. They have been good to us. No trouble, on-time payment, and they actually fix/repairs the house for us without even charge us (with OOS rental and first rental, that is important to us). I don't want to sell this house as I want to retire there in the future. The reason why we rented it out was that it used to be our primary resident until we relocated. So what you are saying is I should take Home Equity out of our current primary residence? Renovate the house, rent it, and repeat? With the equity of our primary house and some cash saved. We are able to pay our next house by cash.


    I've been reading the different between Home Equity and Cash-out refinance and are quite familiar with the two but do not know the actual costs associated with it. If I were to take out $200,000 of my primary resident.


    1) What are the estimated closing costs between the Home Equity Loan and Cash-Out Refinance?

    2) Which method of finance will save me the most as for interest rate and closing costs? ( We both have good credit and stable income and good DTI)


    Thank you! Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated. This is our first BRRR and is dealing with a lot of money so I just want to make sure I make the best decision with my current situation. Thanks!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 242 posts · 182 votes
    6y

    @Andy Nguyen. If you had $300K cash, would you invest it in an out of state SFR for $600K which doesn't cash flow?

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Nevermind to my question. I was able to find the answer in the BRRRs forum. Thanks all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.