which location is good for cash flows in Chicago and near suburbs

which location is good for cash flows in Chicago and near suburbs

Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote

what should  I look into properties to consider it for possible investment, I understand no time is bad time to invest in real estate. However , could you please direct/guide me to how to approach this investment. say I've 50k and I want to generate cash flow out of that.. what and where should I invest to make smart use of that money..

what properties are considered good properties for cash flow?

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes
6y

@Nida Hussaini

In regards to cash flow in Chicago, the South and west sides of the city are the place to be in my opinion.

However, your question is very relative and broad. Depends on several factors including tenant class preference, risk tolerance, comfortability in urban areas, and your preferred return.

Regardless of location, using the Cash on cash return formula is a great way to compare properties. In addition, caprate, breakeven point in dollars/time, debt-coverage ratio, and IRR should sway your decision in choosing to invest in one asset or another.

Educate, Learn the areas, educate some more, network with successful folks in your field, THEN invest!! 

Best of luck!!

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes
    6y

    @Nida Hussaini

    In regards to cash flow in Chicago, the South and west sides of the city are the place to be in my opinion.

    However, your question is very relative and broad. Depends on several factors including tenant class preference, risk tolerance, comfortability in urban areas, and your preferred return.

    Regardless of location, using the Cash on cash return formula is a great way to compare properties. In addition, caprate, breakeven point in dollars/time, debt-coverage ratio, and IRR should sway your decision in choosing to invest in one asset or another.

    Educate, Learn the areas, educate some more, network with successful folks in your field, THEN invest!! 

    Best of luck!!

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    6y

    I agree with @Ibn Abney, that's a pretty broad question.  I think it really depends on the deal.  Cash on cash is a good metric to start comparing different areas and different property types.

    But remember, it's not how much you make it's how much you keep.

    It doesn't matter what the cash flow per month is if you can't cost effectively manage and maintain it.  That's what will eat you alive, I've seen it happen many times.  

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hello is there a link you guys could post that goes over the cash to cash comparison? Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.