Is Cold Calling Tax Delinquents an Efficient Use of Your Time?

Is Cold Calling Tax Delinquents an Efficient Use of Your Time?

Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes

I recently whipped out the credit card and bought a list of 750 Tax Delinquent properties in my county 

and a few surrounding ones -followed by Skip Tracing them. Many of the numbers I've contacted at this 

point are either the "wrong number", not interested in selling, or the occupant straight up curses me out.

Now, I think one key trait separating the winners from the losers in this business is sheer Iron Will. So,

I do not mind going through the wringer. However, is cold calling Tax Delinquent leads an efficient

use of one's time, or would you just send them direct mail? 

Also, my intro when starting each call is something along the lines of this: 

"Hi John, my name's Erik. I'm a local real estate investor interested in purchasing the property at

 789 Live Oak Dr. I'd like to have a quick conversation about it if you have a few minutes."

I never mention they're tax delinquent.

And while we're on the subject, which leads list would you recommend calling? (Probate, 

Pre-Foreclosure, etc.)


Thank you all

E.

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 638 votes
    6y

    @Erik Allahverdian where did you buy the list from and which company did you use for skiptracing? Tax delinquent lists are mostly found on the county website for free. I use BatchSkipTracing for skiptracing my list and the data are 90% accurate. 

    Anyways, it's normal that people will hang up on you. I would keep on calling the ones who didn't pick up my call and keep calling them every day unless they ask me to remove them from my list. You could also send them a direct mail to see if you get a good response.

    Probate, pre-foreclosure and tax-delinquent all are equally motivated list. To see which one performs better, make around 300 calls to each of this list and find out yourself which one is getting you more response and stick to that. If you have a good budget, try sending them a direct mail and compare the response rate between cold calling and direct mail. 

  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 494 posts · 220 votes
    6y

    @Erik A. Glad to hear that you don't mention financial difficulties in your pitch. However, consider that these people are probably getting quite a few calls and are sensitive. Making a statement that says "I know where you live" can be intimidating.

    You might get a little more general - I'm interested in buying property in your area. People that I have worked with find that it is much easier to sell than they expected.

    Also, try contacting people who aren't part of the common call/mail lists. One new segment is Owners with Low Financial Stability Scores (FSS). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.