Does 1% or 2% test in DMV (DC, MD, VA) NY metro even make sense?

Does 1% or 2% test in DMV (DC, MD, VA) NY metro even make sense?

Rental Property Investor · MD, 20878 · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 5 votes

The much talked about 1% rule does not make sense in such larger NE metros (NY/NJ/ DMV). Even foreclosures don't pass this test, forget about units listed on Zillow, Realtor and other sites. Also, I have heard many gurus on BP talk about starting safer and not go out of town/state for your first few units unit you understand the game. BRRR is great if you have a background this field but very difficult to execute if not.

So as a first time REI in NY/NJ or DMV metro how did you start? Did you go for war zones and slowly build your way up or did you just go for appreciation? Did you focus on Baltimore and Philly/Trenton areas? Does it even make sense to buy-and-hold or did you just start flipping? Did you buy 2010/2011 when the market was 30% cheaper compared to what it is now?

I would love to hear your story.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

DC area ratios are roughly 0.5% in DC and Arlington. 0.6% in Montgomery and Fairfax Counties. 0.66% im PG County. I prefer Rockville, Silver Spring and DC. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    DC area ratios are roughly 0.5% in DC and Arlington. 0.6% in Montgomery and Fairfax Counties. 0.66% im PG County. I prefer Rockville, Silver Spring and DC. 

  • Realtor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 166 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    I am getting between 1.9% and 2.25% in Baltimore. Probably will never appreciate though lol

  • Rental Property Investor · MD, 20878 · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    DC area ratios are roughly 0.5% in DC and Arlington. 0.6% in Montgomery and Fairfax Counties. 0.66% im PG County. I prefer Rockville, Silver Spring and DC. 

     Are you looking for appreciation in these markets? I am assuming these are B+ units?

  • Rental Property Investor · MD, 20878 · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Lanciault:

    I am getting between 1.9% and 2.25% in Baltimore. Probably will never appreciate though lol

     Are these B units or more B- / C ? All over Baltimore or just certain pockets (new Johns Hopkins) etc? 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Everest Jordan:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    DC area ratios are roughly 0.5% in DC and Arlington. 0.6% in Montgomery and Fairfax Counties. 0.66% im PG County. I prefer Rockville, Silver Spring and DC. 

     Are you looking for appreciation in these markets? I am assuming these are B+ units?

     A/B+. I dont touch anything lower than that. 

  • Realtor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 166 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Everest Jordan Mine are class C. Near Hopkins you'd probably be closer to 1%

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.