What to do if agent won’t show the house?

What to do if agent won’t show the house?

Rental Property Investor · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 5 votes

Hi - I have two rentals and am taking the leap in buying a couple more that will be long-distance. I spent a few days driving by potentials, researched them, then narrowed my list to 7 properties. I hadn’t looked at the listing agents for them while researching. It turns out the same agent represents 6 of them. He won’t show any of them because there are tenants. I asked for pictures. He won’t provide them because the “tenants are messy”. I have dealt with messy tenants - there’s a difference between clutter and damage.

Personally, I’m not prepared to buy something without a general idea of the interior condition and I’m interested in knowing why someone would. Is this something many investors are okay with?

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

Pretty common on tenant occupied properties to only be able to view them at a home inspection.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Pretty common on tenant occupied properties to only be able to view them at a home inspection.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I've run into properties multiple times that the seller won't show until the "due diligence" period or after accepted offer. Even though I may be interested in the property otherwise, I'm not under those conditions so I just move on. I won't put an offer in on a property I haven't inspected. We never utilize a due diligence period. When we put in an offer, we've already inspected it enough to put in an as is, no contingency offer. So unable to view? Not happening with me.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Crystal Lake, IL · Member since 2012 · 124 posts · 94 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Teachout:

    I've run into properties multiple times that the seller won't show until the "due diligence" period or after accepted offer. Even though I may be interested in the property otherwise, I'm not under those conditions so I just move on. I won't put an offer in on a property I haven't inspected. We never utilize a due diligence period. When we put in an offer, we've already inspected it enough to put in an as is, no contingency offer. So unable to view? Not happening with me.

     Why limit yourself in that way? If the current landlord doesn't run a tight enough ship to have a presentable property and a cooperative tenant, then it's on them. Write an offer and use the due diligence period to first visually inspect and then, if it's worth it, have a professional inspect. You tying up the property does no harm to you. If everyone had your attitude, that would leave a lot of hidden gems on the market for people willing to take the extra step.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    I find it odd, but understand that they don't want to disturb the tenants with a lot of showings.  The agent should be willing to send photos, even if they are older ones from when the place was rented-they would have had photos in the listing.  

    As the others mentioned, add a clause that states it is subject to property inspection and your touring the property.  Also add in a copy of the current lease and security deposit is turned over to you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Janet Runes This does happen on occassion in my market also and although frustrating it can be a way to land a deal where there isn't much compeition because most people will just walk away once they have experienced what you already have.

    1. If the area the home is in is one you have targeted then it is worth going down the path to structure an offer that works for you. The better the area fits what you are looking for the more I would try and make something work on your terms. Properties in good neighborhoods and/or ones that check almost all the boxes for you are the rare part of this equation and each needs to be evaluated as such in my opinion.

    2. Have you tried having a buyers agent request a showing on your behalf? Maybe the listing agent does not want to deal with actually going out there to show you the property, but would be open to giving an agent access.

    3. Get an offer to them in writing. You can do this directly with the listing agent or with a buyer agent rep. I would go the buyer agent route so you have someone working with you who has to put your interests first. This offer should take into account the cost of everything that could be wrong with the property along with the eviction of any tenants once you take ownership. In other words, worst case because you haven't even seen the house yet. Let it play out from there and reiterate through your agent or directly to the buyer that if you are allowed inside you will more than likely be able to increase your offer.

    4. If you cannot come to an agreement on the first round of negotiations, be sure to follow up. The seller may feel differently a couple weeks or couple months from now and when they do you want to be the first potential buyer they think of. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      7y
      Originally posted by @Eddie Egelston:
      Originally posted by @John Teachout:

      I've run into properties multiple times that the seller won't show until the "due diligence" period or after accepted offer. Even though I may be interested in the property otherwise, I'm not under those conditions so I just move on. I won't put an offer in on a property I haven't inspected. We never utilize a due diligence period. When we put in an offer, we've already inspected it enough to put in an as is, no contingency offer. So unable to view? Not happening with me.

       Why limit yourself in that way? If the current landlord doesn't run a tight enough ship to have a presentable property and a cooperative tenant, then it's on them. Write an offer and use the due diligence period to first visually inspect and then, if it's worth it, have a professional inspect. You tying up the property does no harm to you. If everyone had your attitude, that would leave a lot of hidden gems on the market for people willing to take the extra step.

      Well, more for the other guy then. I just don't operate that way. When we write an offer, if it's accepted it's going to close. We do our own inspections and usually we do that all in one visit. Our offers are written as all cash, no contingencies, no due diligence period. We value our realtor's time and don't want to have them write offers that have loose ends.

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      7y
      Originally posted by @Janet Runes:

      Hi - I have two rentals and am taking the leap in buying a couple more that will be long-distance. I spent a few days driving by potentials, researched them, then narrowed my list to 7 properties. I hadn’t looked at the listing agents for them while researching. It turns out the same agent represents 6 of them. He won’t show any of them because there are tenants. I asked for pictures. He won’t provide them because the “tenants are messy”. I have dealt with messy tenants - there’s a difference between clutter and damage.

      Personally, I’m not prepared to buy something without a general idea of the interior condition and I’m interested in knowing why someone would. Is this something many investors are okay with?

       Fairly common not to do showings. Doing over $125M in rental property sales I can tell you that it's a complete waste of time for the seller and seller's agent to show occupied properties to buyers. Mostly anyone who needs to do a personal tour of an occupied rental isn't going to be one ready to close the deal. That said they should be smart and provide as many photos and or video as possible up front. It's all about providing investors with the most complete amount of information as possible so that they can make an informed decision. Why they are not doing that I do not know. If you aren't comfortable moving forward at this time I'd say just move on. You aren't going to change their mind as someone will eventually buy it so long as it's priced right.

    • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      7y

      That sure isn't normal around here. Sometimes, the Agent will set up a mass showing during a certain time. But to not allow any showings, and have no pictures? Pfffttt. I'd just walk away. Why waste your time writing up a Purchase Agreement, hiring an Inspector, and then canceling the deal? First, you're out the money on the Inspection. Second, as one person said, would the Agent allow you to see it first after PA written, then let you decide if another appointment will be made for a Professional Inspection? 

    • Residential Real Estate Broker · Crystal Lake, IL · Member since 2012 · 124 posts · 94 votes
      7y
      Originally posted by @John Teachout:
      Originally posted by @Eddie Egelston:
      Originally posted by @John Teachout:

      I've run into properties multiple times that the seller won't show until the "due diligence" period or after accepted offer. Even though I may be interested in the property otherwise, I'm not under those conditions so I just move on. I won't put an offer in on a property I haven't inspected. We never utilize a due diligence period. When we put in an offer, we've already inspected it enough to put in an as is, no contingency offer. So unable to view? Not happening with me.

       Why limit yourself in that way? If the current landlord doesn't run a tight enough ship to have a presentable property and a cooperative tenant, then it's on them. Write an offer and use the due diligence period to first visually inspect and then, if it's worth it, have a professional inspect. You tying up the property does no harm to you. If everyone had your attitude, that would leave a lot of hidden gems on the market for people willing to take the extra step.

      Well, more for the other guy then. I just don't operate that way. When we write an offer, if it's accepted it's going to close. We do our own inspections and usually we do that all in one visit. Our offers are written as all cash, no contingencies, no due diligence period. We value our realtor's time and don't want to have them write offers that have loose ends.

      Fair enough! There's value in that too!

    • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      7y

      @Janet Runes

      Not common in my area either. Put in an offer of 10% of the listing price, and let them know you will adjust your offer accordingly after viewing the property.

    • Rental Property Investor · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      7y

      Thanks, everyone. What I’m learning here is investors have their own strategies and boundaries. I really appreciate hearing yours. Unfortunately, I did not plan this trip well and will have to leave the properties behind (in Cincinnati no less!). It never occurred to me that I wouldn’t see interiors. I don’t know why an agent would want to waste their time with fake-ish offers and due diligence periods. Moving along for now with more knowledge and forming a better plan. Thanks tons!

    • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      7y

      @Janet Runes this is really common. It it’s tenant occupied; you won’t see the inside until after you submit an offer. That’s just how it goes. Why as a seller would I want to waste my and my tenants time for every buyer who shows any sort of interest? Most buyers are washy anyways. Make an offer. See if afterwards

    • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
      7y

      You’d have to be living in the boondocks for agents to show occupied properties all the time (or at all). That would be a desperation move on their part.

      Doesn’t really happen anywhere near major cities.

    • Rental Property Investor · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      7y

      I understand not showing it while occupied. I don’t understand the seller not having a thorough set of photos or video available so that, as a buyer, I don’t waste the seller’s time by putting in an offer just to see inside.

    • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      7y

      @Janet Runes I'd ask to see the basement and any unoccupied units.  Basements tell you most of what you need to know anyway. 

      You can look at the utilities - hopefully all are separate.  If not, that's a real detriment.

      Is there a sump pump?  How does it smell?  Damp?  Musty?  Is there visible mold?  Those point to the need for mold remediation, moisture and/or water control.

      Is there knob & tube wiring?  Fuses instead of breakers?  You'll most likely have to upgrade those in order to get insurance.

      How to the support columns look? In older homes, cedar posts were used because they didn't shrink as much as other woods - but they do shrink over time. In homes built before about 1930, it's not uncommon for shrinking posts to cause un-level floors above. If they're adjustable lally columns, they'll fail FHA and VA appraisal and possibly others. The reason is that they're hollow, unlike permanent ones which are cement-filled. Hollow columns will collapse sooner in a house fire.

      Foundation - older homes will have fieldstone.  If the pointing isn't maintained, there will be a superhighway for rodents and water.  Or does a poured foundation have horizontal cracks?  Home inspectors tell me that's a much more serious problem than those that are mostly vertical, which indicate minor settling.

      Sill plates and joists - I look for termite / powder post beetle damage, etc.  While you're at it, look at the floor for rodent droppings.

      If I were looking at a fully occupied MFR and could only see the basement, I'd definitely make the trip.

    • Joe SplitrockPro Member
      Moderator
      Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
      7y

      I had a tenant give notice because he got sick of the showings. People didn't take shoes off, left closet doors open, and left doors unlocked. Lots of "investors" who were just tire kickers.  

      Tenants don't always keep properties clean and in showing condition. Then there is the difficulty of coordinating showings. What people forget is that tenants don't get any benefit from the disruption of selling a property. They may appear uncooperative, but really they are just annoyed and rightfully so.

      One option I have seen is some sellers only show vacant units, so you can look at one and then with an offer you can inspect them all. 

      The easy solution here is run the numbers and place an offer contingent on inspection. 

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.