selling co-op home problem/conflicts of interest

selling co-op home problem/conflicts of interest

NY · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote

I'm selling my personal home which is a coop. I have buyer in hand where he is rock solid financially (putting like 75% cash down with good w2 income and basically no debt). The price is on the lower end of what I wanted but I accepted because of his rock solid background. A couple of things occurred since. 1) I realized the buyer has no agent so my agent will be pocketing all the commission. The agent also is a friend my wife and myself. 2) My coop still hasn't released their financials and said it "should" be in by another week and a half. 3) By the time, the financials are in (if they are in), I will be on vacation for 2 weeks. So it can be possible that I won't have executed contract for another 3.5 weeks.

So now buyer won't sign contract until they have financials. I'm annoyed because this coop is rock solid based on previous years and one of the most reputable in the local area. My agent is advising me to stay the course and wait because if I was in his position, I would do the same and its not the buyer's fault the financials aren't out yet.

I feel conflicted and trapped. I told my agent/friend to tell him that I will wait but I will also take other calls/viewings if someone is interested and entertain offers. Is that a jerk move? I feel the need to look out for my best interests. Maybe I will get a higher offer or maybe not but I feel like I should be doing due diligence. Having said that, despite my agent being my friend, and the laws being what they are, will I even "get any calls" if he getting double commission. Hate to think that about a friend but we are talking about money. If I wanted to force the issue, I can organize an open house to see what the interest level is but I'm also not sure if that is the route we should take. Opinions, advice on the situation and life lessons in general? Been lukewarm to the whole idea of becoming a real estate agent but this situation (and a few others...) lights that fire a little...

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 110 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    I would 100% continue showing it and it’s surprisingly very common. I have even seen people accept two offers at the same time and the first one to come back with an executed contract gets the deal (which I think is a little much though). There is no guarantee this buyer will actually sign the deal, so I think it’s completely reasonable for you to keep showing it and let the buyer know it (maybe it will motivate him to sign). 

    That being said, I also think it’s a little crazy that he wants to wait for the financials. 2018 financials typically come out this time of year and he should be able to get a good idea of the building’s finances based on the 2017 financials. If the building’s finances for 2018 are drastically different, then you can put a clause in the contract allowing for him to get his down payment back. If it is a drastic difference then the lender might decline to lend in the building anyway, so he won’t have an issue getting his down payment back. This makes me think that the buyer may be getting cold feet, which is even more reason why you should continue showing the apartment. 

    Regarding your broker, is he part of REBNY? If so, it would be against their code of conduct and that of his company for him not to provide you with all offers that are made. He can advise you not to take an offer, but he is required to present them to you. If he doesn't he is not acting in your best interests, which is his job. I would also be a little wary of using a broker that is not willing to continue showing the apartment at this stage. Deals fall apart during due diligence all the time and continually showing the apartment is pretty common place even if it's just to accept back up offers.

  • NY · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks for the input. I may be biased but this is exactly how I feel...needing some independent confirmation.

    For my friend/agent, I can't say that he hasn't shown me any offers or is acting in conflict of interest. I think one of things that irked me was that he presented the offer without telling me the buyer didn't have an agent. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think agents are obligated to right? It wasn't until I saw the offer sheet that I realized it and he already sold me the idea that this guy is serious. And now this happens, and that issue makes me question his motives in the current situation. We all know money is a strong motivator in life...but for all I know my agent buddy is doing his best for the situation.

    But lesson learned I guess for the future, always ask if the buyer has an agent because of the potential issues it may cause. Also mixing business with friends is not always a good idea...although I have used him for a few deals so far without issues. 

    Anyone else out there with more advice or experiences to share?

  • Jason LeePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 235 votes
    7y

    You signed an exclusive listing agreement which outlined the commission structure. If you specified a different commission if there is no buyer's broker involved then you should care if there's no buyer's broker. If you didn't, then it doesn't matter to you and there's no reason for your broker to mention it to you.

    Your agent should continue to market the apartment until there is an executed contract. That's customary. What makes you think he's not? If you want him to continue holding open houses then ask him to. FYI the number of open houses in July and August drop pretty dramatically because the number of buyers out looking drops. You asked him to continue showing. Did he object?

    I've had many buyers want to wait for the most recent financials. It's not unusual, particularly if they're told they will be released soon.

    You can sign a contract electronically, by fax, in counterpart, etc while you are on vacation as long as it's included in the contract that signatures in that format are acceptable.

    You're trying to sell a co-op in a market that favors buyers, in what is historically one of the slowest times of the year, to a "rock solid" buyer that your broker procured. He's telling you to hang on for a couple weeks. I haven't heard anything that makes me think he's not doing a good job for you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.