Play in the Minneapolis market?

Play in the Minneapolis market?

Member since 2019 · 226 posts · 115 votes

In search of a market that can pass the 1% test, it seems to be Minneapolis might be close as they have houses in the 150K-200K range that can rent for 1300-1700.  They have super low inventory for rentals, which would help in any vacancy.  They also have a hot housing market with limited inventory, so there seems to be more play for appreciation.  On the flip side, the houses in that price range is 100 years old.  Most of them are in bad areas, so the potential of having repairs will be high.  Also with their crappy weather, maintenance could also be bad.  What is everyone's thoughts on it?  Is there any old neighborhood that is getting gentrify?  

Oh yeah they also have high taxes, so you are basically adding $20K to the cost of the house.

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 107 votes
7y

Still some great deals out there if you look hard enough. I agree with Bruce. Our weather is great! :-)

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    7y

    crappy weather?  How about- no smog, hardly any traffic jams,  I e people ect- LOL

  • Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 107 votes
    7y

    Still some great deals out there if you look hard enough. I agree with Bruce. Our weather is great! :-)

  • Member since 2019 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    Not sure if that answered my question, but don’t mean to offend regarding the weather.  I am simply stating the snow rain and cold will lead to more wear and tear 

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tom Makinen:

    Houses in the 150K-200K range

    Maybe in North Minneapolis (where you don't want to be) :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tom Makinen:

    Not sure if that answered my question, but don’t mean to offend regarding the weather.  I am simply stating the snow rain and cold will lead to more wear and tear 

    Snow and Rain don't lead to more wear and tear. Tenants do. Just budget extra $100/mo for snow removal per season.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wayzata · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    Minnesota has the most beautiful summers.

    There are some great incredible up and coming neighborhoods! I found one last weekend!

  • Member since 2019 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    7y
    No kidding but I am not living in it.  Earning 8% on 150k house is not a bad play

    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Tom Makinen:

    Houses in the 150K-200K range

    Maybe in North Minneapolis (where you don't want to be) :) 

  • Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2018 · 189 posts · 107 votes
    7y

    @Tom Makinen- You have a lot of great points. As long as you're planning for those things you'll be okay. I moved out here from Salt Lake City so some of the items you mention totally make sense to me, however these can all totally be mitigated. 

    Where are you now and would you be investing long distance? What are your end goals? Cash flow it sounds like, but it's not clear. Do you plan on holding these properties for a LONG time or a few years? In the end you'll need to budget CAPEX if you're holding longer term, that's in any market. It sounds like you've done some research so you know rent to price it pretty good in the cities, which should justify your concerns to a point.

  • Member since 2019 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    I really care more about appreciation, but I don’t want cash flow to be negative or high vacancy period.   I also don’t want a huge initial investment as I can park my money elsewhere.  Mini seems to be a city that is worth putting a search for.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.