Foreclosures Jump In Austin, Miami, San Diego, And Seattle . . .

Foreclosures Jump In Austin, Miami, San Diego, And Seattle . . .

Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Foreclosures Jump In Austin, Miami, San Diego, And Seattle . . . Say What????

According to ATTOM Data Solutions report, the hardest hit areas in January include Orlando, Florida (up 72% y/y); Austin, Texas (up 60% y/y); Miami, Florida (up 41% y/y); San Diego, California (up 12% y/y); and Seattle, Washington (up 10% y/y).

Across the U.S., a total of 29,382 U.S. properties started foreclosure proceedings in January, up more than 4% from the previous month and 2% from January 2018. January marked the second consecutive month with a y/y increase in foreclosure starts.

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

David IvyPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 699 votes
7y

@Danny Webber @Belle Tseng

This appears to be the article @Account Closed is highlighting: January 2019 Foreclosure Filings See an Uptick. I wonder if this is an instance of a percentage increase being misleading. For example, going from 2 foreclosures to 4 foreclosures year would be a "shocking" 100% increase in foreclosures! Of course, there are many more foreclosures than that in Austin. I'm just illustrating my question.

Does anyone have the time to pull the raw numbers? Does anyone think that the rising interest rates we saw last year are a significant culprit? I know that adjustable rate mortgages are now fairly rare for regular consumers, but those same owners can have interest rate exposure elsewhere. Adjustable rates (e.g., 5/1) are also common for commercial real estate loans on non-commercial residential properties.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Everett, WA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Mike M. Interesting, worth reading up on.

  • Cupertino, CA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hi Mike,

    Thank you for the news. This is so unbelievable!!  Austin foreclosures up 60% y/y. 

    Can you please share the article with us? 

    I guess my search in Austin can wait a bit. 

    Best regards,

    -Belle

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 834 posts · 449 votes
    7y

    good info-share article please

  • Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 87 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    quick googling: https://www.attomdata.com/news/market-trends/figuresfriday/january-2019-foreclosure-filings-see-an-uptick/

  • David IvyPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 699 votes
    7y

    @Danny Webber @Belle Tseng

    This appears to be the article @Account Closed is highlighting: January 2019 Foreclosure Filings See an Uptick. I wonder if this is an instance of a percentage increase being misleading. For example, going from 2 foreclosures to 4 foreclosures year would be a "shocking" 100% increase in foreclosures! Of course, there are many more foreclosures than that in Austin. I'm just illustrating my question.

    Does anyone have the time to pull the raw numbers? Does anyone think that the rising interest rates we saw last year are a significant culprit? I know that adjustable rate mortgages are now fairly rare for regular consumers, but those same owners can have interest rate exposure elsewhere. Adjustable rates (e.g., 5/1) are also common for commercial real estate loans on non-commercial residential properties.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Ivy:

    @Danny Webber @Belle Tseng

    This appears to be the article @Account Closed is highlighting: January 2019 Foreclosure Filings See an Uptick. I wonder if this is an instance of a percentage increase being misleading. For example, going from 2 foreclosures to 4 foreclosures year would be a "shocking" 100% increase in foreclosures! Of course, there are many more foreclosures than that in Austin. I'm just illustrating my question.

    Does anyone have the time to pull the raw numbers? Does anyone think that the rising interest rates we saw last year are a significant culprit? I know that adjustable rate mortgages are now fairly rare for regular consumers, but those same owners can have interest rate exposure elsewhere. Adjustable rates (e.g., 5/1) are also common for commercial real estate loans on non-commercial residential properties.

    I agree that there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I'm skeptical about Attom's assessment at this point. I haven't seen any other sources confirm the data. 

  • Investor · Fairport, NY · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 74 votes
    7y

    There was a jump in foreclosures in Austin for January, and then the total number dropped in February.  The total number for February was in line with the monthly average over the last 12 months

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.