Pushed out of RE partnership, looking for ideas financing 1 SFR

Pushed out of RE partnership, looking for ideas financing 1 SFR

Investor · Collinsville, IL · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 22 votes

To make a long story short, sloppiness and absolute blind trust i.e. stupidity (in hindsight of course) has me being pushed out of my current rental portfolio, currently 15 SFR's, 3 duplexes, and an 8-plex. Long story short, I am trying to buy just one of the SFR properties to keep a roof over my head. However, because we filed the business almost exclusively through my girlfriend for the last 8 years, my tax returns are almost useless when it comes to getting financing. I worked misc. 1099 side jobs and built our portfolio full-time. We were not married. I believe legality favors her by a land slide, and my attorney seems to be leaning that way as well. So, my question is....how do I get a loan on a house for 110k (house is worth at least 160k) without much going for me on paper. Her family wants to cut all ties, so leaving the existing mortgage in place (which her, me, and her parents are all on, both title and mortgage) is not an option. Looking for ideas. I have no family, and most of my friends are living paycheck to paycheck. I do have some cash and a 30k Vanguard fund. My former partners can vouch for my track record in the business, everyone at the bank knows the role I played in rehabbing all of these (but no paper trail, they simply know because of our personal relationship), but on paper that's relevant to banks, I have almost nothing to my name. Any ideas are appreciated. I could probably negotiate for a few more properties out of the deal, but I would need a financing parter, and that wouldn't leave much wiggle room for equity and cashflow. My primary goal is to keep the roof over my head.

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Could you convince her to make seller financing a condition of the split?

  • Investor · Collinsville, IL · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't seller financing mean she remains on the note and mortgage?  I don't think she would go for anything that keeps her on the note or mortgage.  Her parents would go for it, but she's calling the shots, and is not budging.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    Both of you need to work it out between yourselves and get rid of the attorneys. They will end up with everything and you (and her) little of anything. That is the cheapest option. 

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    7y

    Did you spend $ on these properties that can be traced and verified?  For down payments and or significant repairs perhaps?  Could strengthen your position if you sue her for custody of the portfolio or even just one property. 

    Other than that, I am curious as to why anyone would work so hard to build a portfolio of almost 20 properties and not formalize their stake long before getting to this point. 

    I'm not asking you to share more intimate details, but this sounds like it could be a classic example of what NOT to do that could be really helpful to the community.

    Best of luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.