Cap Rate for Single Family Homes in Pensacola, FL

Cap Rate for Single Family Homes in Pensacola, FL

Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello BiggerPockets Community!

I am looking into the marketplace of Pensacola, Florida (specifically zip code 32514) to buy my first single family home as a rental property. I've been using the BP Rental Property Calculator to practice analyzing deals, and have come up with an idea of what my desired cash flow and cash-on-cash criteria should be (especially since these categories are well-covered in the webinars). However, I don't know what would be considered a "good" cap rate for Pensacola, FL. I've tried searching for this information on the Internet, but haven't had much luck since the search results aren't very specific, mainly stating that the definition of a "good" cap rate varies by location.

Does anybody know what a "good" cap rate would be for single-family homes in the Pensacola area? Any insight or links to references with this information would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Gina

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
7y

Hi @Gina Ma, I have never used a cap rate to analyze my single family rental properties. Not sure why you are looking for a number like this but I look at cash flow and equity only. Maybe I'm crazy but every time a SFR investor talks about cap rate I just shake my head a bit.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    7y

    Hi @Gina Ma, I have never used a cap rate to analyze my single family rental properties. Not sure why you are looking for a number like this but I look at cash flow and equity only. Maybe I'm crazy but every time a SFR investor talks about cap rate I just shake my head a bit.

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    7y

    BTW, that zip code is great in Pensacola.  Good choice!

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Gina Ma I would have to agree with @William Allen in regards to the cap rate. I've owned 7 rental properties in Pensacola that have all done well and I couldn't tell you what the cap rate is on any of them. To each his own how you prefer to analyze rental properties though. With that said, one of my properties was in 32514 as well. It was located in the Lost Creek subdivision. If you don't already have an agent working for you I'd be happy to help. Good luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Hi @William Allen and @Korey Rademacher, thank you so much for the responses and info! Good to know that there's one less metric I need to worry about, and it's a relief to hear good feedback about the zip code choice.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 307 votes
    7y

    @Gina Ma  Most of the time I hear single family investors that I work with here looking for a specific cash on cash return or per door cash flow.  I have a house listed in 32514 that I was using as a rental, link below, and I have a duplex going up for sale next week in that zip.   

    http://bit.ly/32514

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Matt Jones Thanks for the tip!

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Gina Ma

    Only a stabilized property can have a cap rate and by definition a SFR can't be stabilized, so it will never have a cap rate. Any info you do find for your area about cap rates will most likely refer to commercial properties, which is of little use to you.

    If you want to use un-levered return as a metric for comparison in your given zip code I'd suggest developing your own. Once you have narrowed down what and where you want to invest keep track of every property you analyze and its "cap rate". After a month or so of doing 2-4 a day you'll have a large enough data set to see what the average return with no debt and the good deals will pop out to you. 

    Then the fun starts.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    7y

    @Gina Ma - cap rates are only used for multifamily / commercial exchanges. Does not apply to SFR but if you want to use a # in the BP calculator, 7% is relevant.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jay Helms, @Bill F. - appreciate the explanations. Also, thanks for the tip for the BP calculator,  @Jay Helms.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.