Abandoned 12-unit building in West Atlanta, no parking. Too bad?

Abandoned 12-unit building in West Atlanta, no parking. Too bad?

Rental Property Investor · Cumming, GA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 5 votes

There is a two-story building, built in 1920 about 9000 sqft consisting of 12 one-bedroom units with only 3 parking lots. It is in a low-end area of Atlanta (West Atlanta) which is going through a lot of changes and theoretically possesses some potential for growth. The building has been abandoned for a long time and requires a major investment. Before though calculating the ROI and how much it may cost my question is does it present too many unsolvable problems and should I walk away even if the renovation/purchase numbers make sense? Roughly speaking, I envision the building can be ready for 700-800K (purchase/fixes) and a unit rented for $650-700 targeting in today's money about 9-10 cap assuming 10 out of 12 average occupancy.

However, I'm more concerned about its vacancy rate and its turnover. With only one-bedroom units and the lack of parking what tenants can I get? Possibly not the best but causing high turnaround. On the other hand, the area represents a potential of growth and the numbers allow some room for an error.

My current tenant profile, the area of investments (SFH) are very different from this type and the agents/PM company have no experience with this type of the deal and properties. Needless to say, they're talking me out of this deal.

Walk away or check something else? Thoughts?

0Reply
26 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Roman Rytov  Sounds like too much money for the level of risk.  You'd want to be all in around $600k for this to be an ok deal.   

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y

    I posted on another thread how I bought a lovely 1 br with one parking space for cash...and it sat for three months,  is now rented to a marginal tenant.  I have never had a unit sit for more than a month in good weather.  (Closed in July.)  All because of parking.  Parking is just too important except in cities with great public transport.  I know Atlanta has decent public transport,  but is it good where this unit is?  If not,  I'd definitely walk away.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cumming, GA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thank you both. Decided to walk away.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.