Delayed closing, losing money by day!?

Delayed closing, losing money by day!?

Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes

I am buying a quadruplex that takes in $2400 in rent a month. Original closing was set for the 12th but do to appraisal/inspection delays it has been pushed back to the 20th, maybe 21st.

The closing was pushed back because on the day of the appraisal/inspection (a Friday), the seller's plumber had an emergency and had to cancel the AM appt to put in a new water heater. The seller was slow in getting another plumber out there and needless to say the 10 AM appraisal/inspection was pushed back until 5:30PM... not enough time for the appraiser to get the paperwork in and thus the underwriters didn't get moving until the next monday...

Further delays are due to I don't know what, I am starting to get pissed at my loan officer for not answering my questions as thoroughly as before.

My question is that since I will be credited a prorated rent for the month of June, am I literally losing $80/day ($2400/30days) by having the closing date pushed back? From my calculations, this amounts to as much as $720.

If so, any recourse in getting this credited back to me?

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y

If it's someone on your side of the table (your mortgage broker, for example) that is holding things up, then you need to take it up with him and determine what can be done to reimburse you. The problem there is that it's unlikely anyone will own up to being the roadblock; for example, if the loan is being held up, the broker will likely blame the underwriter. Etc...

If the delay is on the part of the seller, then your recourse becomes available every time you create an amendment to extend the closing date of the deal. In that amendment, you extend the closing date and can change any other terms of the contract that both sides agree on.

So, if you feel the seller is holding things up, you can always ask the seller to reimburse you for the time/money that was lost by extending the closing date. Of course, the seller can refuse, and in that case, it really boils down to which of you is more willing to lose the deal if the other side doesn't give in.

Ultimately, I'd look at it like this: You haven't been earning any money off the property your entire life...what's a few more days? :D

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Glenn,

    I have run into delayed closings several times already and there is not much I was able to do. While these were not on rentals, they were rehabs, I too was losing money with each passing day. I believe delayed closings are something you just have to accept unless there is something "shady" going on. You could always try to negotiate to get money back, but my guess is unless there was some clause in the contract, there is little you can do. I hope I am wrong and look forward to other responses on the issue.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    If it's someone on your side of the table (your mortgage broker, for example) that is holding things up, then you need to take it up with him and determine what can be done to reimburse you. The problem there is that it's unlikely anyone will own up to being the roadblock; for example, if the loan is being held up, the broker will likely blame the underwriter. Etc...

    If the delay is on the part of the seller, then your recourse becomes available every time you create an amendment to extend the closing date of the deal. In that amendment, you extend the closing date and can change any other terms of the contract that both sides agree on.

    So, if you feel the seller is holding things up, you can always ask the seller to reimburse you for the time/money that was lost by extending the closing date. Of course, the seller can refuse, and in that case, it really boils down to which of you is more willing to lose the deal if the other side doesn't give in.

    Ultimately, I'd look at it like this: You haven't been earning any money off the property your entire life...what's a few more days? :D

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    15y

    Thats a different way of looking at things J Scott, still doesn't make me feel better though, ha!

    Either way the house is closing tomorrow or Tuesday and I can move forward from there.

  • Property Manager · Wyandotte, MI · Member since 2011 · 123 posts · 26 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by J Scott:

    Ultimately, I'd look at it like this: You haven't been earning any money off the property your entire life...what's a few more days? :D

    I agree. As long as you know it will eventually close. Dont sweat the small stuff.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    15y

    I'm sure the seller is as motivated if not more motivated then you are. My guess is they are getting a big check at closing.

    You are also probably not losing as much as you think. It sounds like you are getting a mortgage, they are not going to charge interest, property tax, or insurance until you close.

    From what I understand the plumber delayed an AM appointment to an afternoon appointment. I don't think the Seller will be receptive to a $720 credit.

    Delays are pretty typical with the mortgage process.

    Count it up to the cost of doing business...

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    15y

    So the closing has been delayed again, this time my mortgage broker won't give me a straight answer as to when. My guess is the lenders are sitting on their behinds.

    My problem is that I have a flip going on at the same time and my first round of contractors are finishing up this week. I need to finalize my rehab money and I can't apply for anything until I close on this property. I have $5000 tied up in bank accounts that I can't touch because I need that buffer money for closing...

    If this week goes by and I can't close I will be forced to pay my contractors with that $5000. Closing after the fact probably won't get my loan approved. What happens if I can't get get financing?

    At this point, the flip is more important to me and the delays in this quad deal has put a very sour taste in my mouth. I would not mind sacrificing my $500 EMD and wiping my hands clean.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2008 · 149 posts · 57 votes
    15y

    My general rule is, have patience. My patience and a desperate seller has gained me thousands!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    Let your broker know that you're willing to walk if he can't get the financing in place, and see what he has to say. If he's at risk of losing the deal, perhaps he'll take the initiative to contact the underwriter and get the true story of what's going on...

  • Rehabber · Corona, CA · Member since 2009 · 59 posts · 21 votes
    15y

    Glen, in today's market, delays and poor service is becoming more and more the norm.
    Don’t stress yourself out, as it only leads to more problems with the transaction as well as other areas of your life.
    Take some additional time and really think is this something you want to walk away from due to economical reasons, or is it because you are emotionally tied to this. If you can financially afford this or find a way to, then be patient, and in the long run you will win.

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    15y

    Thanks for the reply guys.

    I talked to my mortgage broker and we are set for Friday at the latest. He gave me the go ahead to tap into the $5000 as well as get my loan under way for the rehab. With that off my shoulders, I can proceed to wait patiently for this quad deal to unfold and it will be winning property on my part.

    I'll be able to pocket my housing allowance from the military with this property, can't wait!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.