Is my realtor giving me the best advice?

Is my realtor giving me the best advice?

Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote

I am using a realtor for the expertise they bring to the table.  Currently shopping for a house that needs a little work (203k). I wanted to put in a lowball offer, but my realtor said it was not a serious offer and I shouldn't do it. I guess maybe I've been listening to too many podcasts where people have had low offers accepted. My thinking on the offer was that this is a rental and the company's other rentals (and business) is in another state.  They are "motivated" sellers. 

My question is this: does my realtor always know best?

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
8y

One of the things I have issue with BP, and their logic of thinking, of always go in with an offer of 80% of the asking price. In a lot of markets thats a slap in the face. Not only will they not take you seriously they will never call you back. 

You need to know your local market and the accept price ranges. Its a hot market and everybody knows it. Everyone is trying to make top dollar so going below asking price can be a bad choice depending on your market. If you dont know the market well enough to make a reasonable low offer and that you have to rely on your realtor completely then you need to do just that. 

Make sure you do your numbers right and be prepared to walk away. Plus if you ask a bit higher and get it you always have you inspections and contingencies to get or ask for a reduction in price if you find things that hurt your numbers.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    Hi @Amy Innocenti,

    Your realtor doesn't always know whats best, but they could be right.  It is an interesting social relationship at play because you and your agent have slightly different goals.  Your goal is to buy a place at a great price, and your agent's goal is to mainly help you buy a place.  

    As a real estate broker in New York (where inventory moves quickly and it is difficult to buy at steep discounts), most times it is not worth it to go around putting in lowball offers for my clients mainly because the market moves quickly and also because it wastes everyone's time.   

    Not sure what the real estate market is like where you are, but my advice is to put in the lowball offer and see what happens.  Make sure your agent communicates the reasoning why your offer is low (extensive renovations are needed, place is old, layout needs work, building permits needed, etc.).  There is always the chance the owner will be offended at the lower offer, but I doubt a rental company owner would take it personally.  

    Furthermore, submitting an offer doesn't take up too much time at all.  As an agent, I would only think its a waste if I have a client who wants to submit a lot of lowball offers and the response from the offers is bad for my reputation or hurts my client's chances of getting an accepted offer. 

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thanks @Doug Shapiro. 

    It is a bit of a hot market here in FL as well.  You look at a property. Next thing you know,  it's pending. On the flipside, you do see properties going for much less. It's hard to know what is an actual good price. I certainly don't want to hurt my realtor's reputation, but I sure would like to know how low that property owner would sell it for.  It seems the only way to know for sure is to make an offer. 

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    8y

    One of the things I have issue with BP, and their logic of thinking, of always go in with an offer of 80% of the asking price. In a lot of markets thats a slap in the face. Not only will they not take you seriously they will never call you back. 

    You need to know your local market and the accept price ranges. Its a hot market and everybody knows it. Everyone is trying to make top dollar so going below asking price can be a bad choice depending on your market. If you dont know the market well enough to make a reasonable low offer and that you have to rely on your realtor completely then you need to do just that. 

    Make sure you do your numbers right and be prepared to walk away. Plus if you ask a bit higher and get it you always have you inspections and contingencies to get or ask for a reduction in price if you find things that hurt your numbers.

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Nik Moushon 

    Thanks! I don't know this market well yet and I do want to defer to his expertise,  which is why I got a realtor in the first place.  I just want to make sure I don't overpay. And I definitely want to stay on budget. 

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Amy Innocenti:

    @Nik Moushon 

    Thanks! I don't know this market well yet and I do want to defer to his expertise,  which is why I got a realtor in the first place.  I just want to make sure I don't overpay. And I definitely want to stay on budget. 

     Do your numbers at a couple different price points and see how they turn out. Do one at your number, the number your realtor thinks it should be and then one or two somewhere in the middle. Give yourself a spread. Realtor will tend to be a bit generous with their number but it doesn't mean they are trying to stack the price. A couple thousand in an asking price is a hundred bucks on their pay check. So they usually are not doing it to get themselves a better paycheck....usually. 

    I would take your realtor advice then go under it just a bit. That way there is some wiggle room. Of course make sure the numbers work. 

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    8y
    @Amy Innocenti I know it’s a 203k so you’ll be living in it, but do you plan to leave shortly after, or is this your forever home? If it’s your forever home and you would hate to lose it, be careful of the offer you’re making. If it’s for investment, I say don’t get emotional and fire off whatever offer you want to. It’s your agents fiduciary duty to put in your offer.
  • Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2018 · 85 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    A realtor's job is to advise and execute the client's (your) plan even if the chance for success is ~0%.  Plain and simple.  If they think that it's a waste of time and won't submit the offer, find a different realtor.  I had to do that to a realtor in FL who told me that the wholesaler would laugh at the offer and that the realtor's rep would take a hit.  Offer submission should never hurt a realtor's rep.   Offer non-submission hurts the rep significantly more.  

    As mentioned above, offer what makes your numbers work.  Keep trying until you find a deal that works.  Your deal rate may be low with low ball offers, but your chance of success per deal will be higher.  

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Scott Wolf

    Thank you for your reply. My current plan is to live in it for a while and sell or rent. I am in a rental now and have to renew my lease October 1 or go month to month, so I'm on a bit of a time crunch.  This market is so hot right now though. We made an offer on another home yesterday and it went into a multiple offer situation. 

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @ Jonathan New

    Thanks for your advice.  My realtor explained to me that I don't want to make the seller angry with my offer. I don't want to do that,  but if I want to rent the property out after a year or two,  I want the numbers to work.  Quite the quandary.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8y

    List price could be above market, at, or below. When I put in offers for my commercial clients on larger properties (millions to tens of millions in price) I look past just the asking price. I want to talk to the seller directly if not listed or the listing brokerage and see WHAT is the motivation to sell? Is it purely price or something else? It could be a syndicate has ran it's course, a bad partnership, a divorce and a split of assets, investor is bringing investments closer to home, needs money for another project, etc.

    Sounds like you are competing with home buyers who will pay a premium and are fine with just a little built in equity. Right now for houses some reports show most markets peaking for pricing. The sentiment is to wait a year when the markets could possibly shift more to buyers. Problem with that is in 1 year even if prices went down some or stayed the same the interest rates might have gone up, lenders might be requiring more down by then, etc. 

    There is no perfect property. Sounds like this is a live in first, and investment second situation. What would the mortgage payment be with taxes and insurance included versus your current rent payment? 

  • Vandalia, MI · Member since 2018 · 569 posts · 264 votes
    8y

    Here is the deal.  I am sorry realtors buy there is no such thing as a buyers agent.  They all work for sellers. They get paid based on the selling price.  I know some realtors are really as honest as the day is long but, some aren't. I would go to a different agent and ask if I offer x what do you think and see what they say. An offer is an offer, i was told do not offer that little and guess what i bought at the price i wanted.  I was shocked it went through.  SO each person should go with what they feel. 

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Joel Owens 

    It looks like I am about to be waiting a year anyway by default.  (It's time to renew my lease). It is a hot market now and there is a scarcity. Prices were a good bit lower last year. We'll see what happens.  Thank you for your advice. 

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @ Michele B. 

    Thanks for your advice.  I hear a lot of stories on the podcasts and blogs where people have had the same success you did on a lower offer.  It's looking like we might end up waiting a year anyway,  so maybe things will be different next year. 

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    ok. For a second time my realtor is talking me down from making a different lowball offer on a different property.  Add to this that we found yet another property that doesn't work with realtors. I'm having a real moral dilemma here.  This person has spent a significant amount of time working with us and I don't know how I feel about cutting ties with him.  I work in sales and I know what it feels like when someone you work with buys from someone else.  I don't know that I want to invite that type of karma into my life. Any thoughts?

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Amy Innocenti:

    ok. For a second time my realtor is talking me down from making a different lowball offer on a different property.  Add to this that we found yet another property that doesn't work with realtors. I'm having a real moral dilemma here.  This person has spent a significant amount of time working with us and I don't know how I feel about cutting ties with him.  I work in sales and I know what it feels like when someone you work with buys from someone else.  I don't know that I want to invite that type of karma into my life. Any thoughts?

     Are the lowball offers you want to make realistic for the property and the market?  That should answer your question as to how to proceed...if you have unrealistic expectations, then listen to your agent. If your expectations are realistic, then find an agent who knows the market better.

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @ Russell Brazil

    Thanks for your reply.  The first offer was very low, the second was low, but reasonable. It was a full price offer with some concessions. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Amy Innocenti:

    @ Russell Brazil

    Thanks for your reply.  The first offer was very low, the second was low, but reasonable. It was a full price offer with some concessions. 

     That still doesnt speak to whether they are realistic or not.  I just had a client who wanted to bid the list price on a property that was going to go $100k over list. In that case his list price offer would be unrealistic.  I listed a property last year where we wouldn't even bother responding to offers that wernt at least $200k over list. I had another property we bought earlier this year that we started our offer $400k under list and purchased it for $250k under list.

    I use these dramatic examples to illustrate that it doesnt matter what the list price is....what matters is what is realistic for the market. A full price offer could still be unrealistic, and offers significantly under can be realistic.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.