Investor · Santa Ana, CA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
I'm looking to invest in Rosarito, Baja California Mexico. I'm looking for a property near the beach. price between 100k-200k. I want to rent it in Airbnb. I'm looking for advice on how to do this. anyone with experience on this topic?
Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Mark Mendoza
Hi Mark,
We bought a villa at a beachfront resort- it’s a 8-10 minute walk to downtown. It’s one of the oldest resorts, but well kept and managed- history and stability was important for us- as well as location. We Airbnb it started in Oct and so far it’s been busy and seems to be getting busier as we enter the warm season. We have to block ahead of time so that we can enjoy the place too. I’m a Superhost on that- we have people on the ground with maintenance, cleaning, security is fantastic . It’s been a good experience so far. I am estimating 8% ROÍ by end of year.
My parents bought in Rosarito when it was just a dirt road with little shops and stops. I mainly bought it so that my parents can have less to manage and go to at a resort- less steps, maintenance as they age etc. My husband is a realtor and works The área with a very reliable lawyer which is essentially what you need. I also manage a few Airbnb in the resort for other owners and it’s been great so far.
We have also just purchased land in El Valle de Guadalupe to build in the middle of the corazón of the Valle. We love wine and food- the place is just taking off and hope to build a few cabins and a home for us. El Valle has been listed in well known wine hubs as a place to go and it’s just getting started. Give Mexicans wine grapes and they break all the rules that European wines place on their grapes- mixing certain wines is prohibited in Europe, but in Mexico it’s an opportunity for creativity. Europeans starting their wineries in the area as well. And wow! Mexico is just starting to get into wine as a whole, the growing middle class etc. I see growth and potential.
People that tell you it’s dangerous may be hanging with the wrong crowd, or involved with different circles or stuck in some time warp. Don’t get me wrong- we are aware and vigilant like in California, but people saying some things it’s just weird. I wouldn’t go into some places in California but I don’t blanket it as all of California. Baja is beautiful and just driving down the coast takes me back to California in the 70s.
Just curious... have you been south of your border recently? Rosarito is awfully close to Tijuana were world war 3 is going on right now... Just my opinion...
Real Estate Broker · Marina del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 25 votes
8y
I’d also be very interested in any contacts you make. Just had a family member recently move down there from San Diego. If you happen to make a contact with a local agent who knows the market and is investor friendly, please refer it my way.
Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 89 votes
8y
Make sure you understand how the property ownership is structured there. Americans couldn't own land a certain distance to the beach when we owned there. We owned a condo in a little community called Cantamar close to Rosarito on the road to Ensenada, but we didn't own the land. They always have places for sale there, and there are a lot of Americans there. It felt pretty safe. I think the law has changed, but just make sure you have a good Mexican abogado to help you with your purchase!
The land lease went up a lot during the time we owned the condo, and we eventually sold it. This was a while back, but I have great memories from the place; it was really beautiful, right on the beach. Great little community. But again, it was irritating to have the land keep going up and up for the lease.
Real Estate Agent · Mira Mesa, CA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 49 votes
8y
@Julio Solano Definitely look for a qualified agent and property manager down there. In terms of ownership, property can be owned by foreigners via a fideicomiso. Don't let people scare you away from Tijuana with WW3 talk. Go see for yourself.
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
8y
I love Baja but do not love from TJ to Ensenada nor Mexicalli. Every extortion attempt I have experienced in Baja has happened North of Ensenada.
Beyond Ensenada are cool things like wineries (I do not drink wine), La Bufadora and its blow hole, great little fishing villages, Gurerro Negro and Scammons Lagoon (best whale watching on earth), San Pedro Martir (least visited forest region within a day of San Diego and has the twin Picacho del Diablo peaks and the national observatory), numerous Missions in various degrees of condition, hot springs, party towns (San Felipe), surf towns, snorkel/diving (anywhere in Sea of Cortex in Baja Sur), Sand Dunes (Baja races), etc.
My worse theft south of Ensenada has been some bottled water.
So the question is why Rosarito? Is it for its proximity to US? I much prefer Loreto or Mulege. Less crime, less extortion, better fishing and SCUBA/snorkeling, and a good mission in Loreto.
I am interested what others have to say about the effort and profitability as I would love to have a STR cottage on the beach in Loreto. Maybe keep a boat there. Hard part would be finding the time to make use of it myself.
Rental Property Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 12 votes
7y
@Trudy Pachon Hi! We stayed in Cantamar last week and loved it. We are considering buying the house we stayed in. It’s a small 2 bedroom / 2 bath beach front property. What do you think the value is? Would love to connect more about your process / journey owning in Mexico. I definitely have some questions. Thanks!
Real Estate Agent · Ensenada, B.C. · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
7y
Hello I'm a real estate agent in Ensenada and Rosarito, we know how airbnb model works and is a very good invesment. We also know how to protect foreing investors when buying in Mexico, we advise to work with an ESCROW to protect both sides buyer and seller. You can be sure that your investment would be protected when you use the right tool in the righ way.
@Julio Solano I just did it and am in process for Airbnb - if you have any questions let me know- I have learned much.
Lisette, where did u buy? i have a place in Rosarito and its started to do well after i did some rehab work on it. I bought in downtown Rosarito in the condo complexes as i felt it would be better than buying a home since we dont live and minimal maintenance.
Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Mark Mendoza
Hi Mark,
We bought a villa at a beachfront resort- it’s a 8-10 minute walk to downtown. It’s one of the oldest resorts, but well kept and managed- history and stability was important for us- as well as location. We Airbnb it started in Oct and so far it’s been busy and seems to be getting busier as we enter the warm season. We have to block ahead of time so that we can enjoy the place too. I’m a Superhost on that- we have people on the ground with maintenance, cleaning, security is fantastic . It’s been a good experience so far. I am estimating 8% ROÍ by end of year.
My parents bought in Rosarito when it was just a dirt road with little shops and stops. I mainly bought it so that my parents can have less to manage and go to at a resort- less steps, maintenance as they age etc. My husband is a realtor and works The área with a very reliable lawyer which is essentially what you need. I also manage a few Airbnb in the resort for other owners and it’s been great so far.
We have also just purchased land in El Valle de Guadalupe to build in the middle of the corazón of the Valle. We love wine and food- the place is just taking off and hope to build a few cabins and a home for us. El Valle has been listed in well known wine hubs as a place to go and it’s just getting started. Give Mexicans wine grapes and they break all the rules that European wines place on their grapes- mixing certain wines is prohibited in Europe, but in Mexico it’s an opportunity for creativity. Europeans starting their wineries in the area as well. And wow! Mexico is just starting to get into wine as a whole, the growing middle class etc. I see growth and potential.
People that tell you it’s dangerous may be hanging with the wrong crowd, or involved with different circles or stuck in some time warp. Don’t get me wrong- we are aware and vigilant like in California, but people saying some things it’s just weird. I wouldn’t go into some places in California but I don’t blanket it as all of California. Baja is beautiful and just driving down the coast takes me back to California in the 70s.
Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Lisette S.
Another thing- as we were looking at investments- I felt investing in these areas was much safer than investing in places like Oklahoma, Alabama, Michigan etc. When I would see what was around I didn’t feel safe - even just google mapping, flying there etc. It’s a bit of a bias isn’t it? I guess the same bias people have of investing in Mexico as a whole. Any area you go into will have good and bad anywhere you go. The president of Mexico has not done much as a so called socialist- he may be a democratic socialist but isn’t anti- making money- just making sure the people are treated right and companies don’t exploit communities- I’m okay with that.
Investor · UT · Member since 2020 · 84 posts · 91 votes
5y
Hi! I'm curious if anyone on this thread is still active as the last post was a year ago. We are looking at heading down to Ensenada to check out some properties next month. If anyone can connect I'd appreciate it! Thanks, Cj
Hi! I'm curious if anyone on this thread is still active as the last post was a year ago. We are looking at heading down to Ensenada to check out some properties next month. If anyone can connect I'd appreciate it! Thanks, Cj
Meetup.com has a group called “Retire in Mexico / Purchase Investment Properties in Mexico”. I am a member, but have never gone to a Meetup. I am not alone judging by the “going” list. It has had very low turnout. I suspect the organizer is a Mexican RE agent that is looking to find some buyers.
The organizer has weekly field trips to look at properties from Rosarito to Ensenada.
Have you been to La Bufadora? It has a small village and has the blow hole. Interesting. Maybe can be a good long term investment.
Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 36 votes
5y
@Dan H. - Thanks for that recommendation. I'm joining now.
@Cj Powderhorn - I recently moved to Tijuana and am exploring investment opportunities in the bigger municipalities of Baja California. I'm happy to connect and share ideas.
Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 17 votes
5y
@Cj Powderhorn I'm still there- I have recently fallen in love with Ensenada- especially with its proximity to el Valle and having the beach right there. I'm still there and here in CA as well. Not sure where I'll be next month but let me know when you plan and I am up for it if it works.
I just found the thread and an read it all. I am very interested in investing in rosario area as well. I live in San Diego and think Rosarito has potential. Any one here know how a condo in one of the newer high rises in Rosarito can be bought? Please let me know if you have done something like this recently
Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes
4y
Hi Everyone,
Great thread! My name is Brandon. I'm a Real Estate Agent/Developer in SoCal. My partners and I are in the early stages of building a beachfront community in Rosarito. Unlike other properties in the area, buyers will own the land, not lease it. We will be building 2 -3 bedroom condos in addition to three high-rise buildings. The community is gated with 24/7 security.
I will have renderings and floor plans in the next week or two. If anyone is interested in learning more, please send me a message or comment on this thread.
We bought a villa at a beachfront resort- it’s a 8-10 minute walk to downtown. It’s one of the oldest resorts, but well kept and managed- history and stability was important for us- as well as location. We Airbnb it started in Oct and so far it’s been busy and seems to be getting busier as we enter the warm season. We have to block ahead of time so that we can enjoy the place too. I’m a Superhost on that- we have people on the ground with maintenance, cleaning, security is fantastic . It’s been a good experience so far. I am estimating 8% ROÍ by end of year.
My parents bought in Rosarito when it was just a dirt road with little shops and stops. I mainly bought it so that my parents can have less to manage and go to at a resort- less steps, maintenance as they age etc. My husband is a realtor and works The área with a very reliable lawyer which is essentially what you need. I also manage a few Airbnb in the resort for other owners and it’s been great so far.
We have also just purchased land in El Valle de Guadalupe to build in the middle of the corazón of the Valle. We love wine and food- the place is just taking off and hope to build a few cabins and a home for us. El Valle has been listed in well known wine hubs as a place to go and it’s just getting started. Give Mexicans wine grapes and they break all the rules that European wines place on their grapes- mixing certain wines is prohibited in Europe, but in Mexico it’s an opportunity for creativity. Europeans starting their wineries in the area as well. And wow! Mexico is just starting to get into wine as a whole, the growing middle class etc. I see growth and potential.
People that tell you it’s dangerous may be hanging with the wrong crowd, or involved with different circles or stuck in some time warp. Don’t get me wrong- we are aware and vigilant like in California, but people saying some things it’s just weird. I wouldn’t go into some places in California but I don’t blanket it as all of California. Baja is beautiful and just driving down the coast takes me back to California in the 70s.
Just my POV
I saw you posted in a forum about Rosarito, specifically the short term rental property market down there. Would you mind if I reach out to you? I have WhatsApp. 1-619-947-2300.
I see lots of people talking about how dangerous it’s out here in Tijuana and rosarito. And I’m in the process of buying a house on the beach in rosarito. So to best answer that question. So I been to prison and used to run the drug scene. But it’s like looking for aliens if your not involved in that stuff. Yes there’s a lot of stuff happening. But 99% of the people that get hurt. Are involved in some way. If your not doing anything that involves drugs and getting in the cartels way. There not going to mess with you. Now the minute you interfere in anyway. Your going to most likely disappear. So ya there might be things happening. But mind your business and you’ll be fine.
Great thread! My name is Brandon. I'm a Real Estate Agent/Developer in SoCal. My partners and I are in the early stages of building a beachfront community in Rosarito. Unlike other properties in the area, buyers will own the land, not lease it. We will be building 2 -3 bedroom condos in addition to three high-rise buildings. The community is gated with 24/7 security.
I will have renderings and floor plans in the next week or two. If anyone is interested in learning more, please send me a message or comment on this thread.
Best,
Hi!! Wanted to see if you could give me an update on this is going for you? Been looking to invest in Baja and want to know a bit more about it. thanks in advance