buying off market seller wants appraisal first

buying off market seller wants appraisal first

North Scituate, RI · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I am looking for tips on how to negotiate a property from a seller that will be getting an appraisal in a few months when she is back up for the summer as this is their summer home.  I would like to try to lock this up prior to her getting the appraisal and listing it. We could split the agents fees off the price of the house.  I want to avoid the competition from non investors as this it a desirable area.  This will be a buy and hold and use as a vacation home when its not rented.

If she wants to wait and get the appraisal, do I trust it? Or get my own if I don't like it? She is 90+.   She did reach out to me as I expressed interest a year ago to her.  She is my families neighbor.  

I have a friend that is a realtor running a report on recent comps and and will give me a number that he would list it for.

Thank you all!

0Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Little Elm, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    If it’s a good property and your intent is to hold it for partial personal use, what is the problem with paying a fair market price. As far as concern over being able to lock in the sale, just ask her to sign a letter of intent or offer to buy an option from her. Offer a couple thousand with it being understood the payment will be applied to the sale price at closing. If she is unwilling to sell you the option, she didn’t want to sell to you anyway. That’s my thought anyway....
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Ryan:

    I am looking for tips on how to negotiate a property from a seller that will be getting an appraisal in a few months when she is back up for the summer as this is their summer home.  I would like to try to lock this up prior to her getting the appraisal and listing it. We could split the agents fees off the price of the house.  I want to avoid the competition from non investors as this it a desirable area.  This will be a buy and hold and use as a vacation home when its not rented.

    If she wants to wait and get the appraisal, do I trust it? Or get my own if I don't like it? She is 90+.   She did reach out to me as I expressed interest a year ago to her.  She is my families neighbor.  

    I have a friend that is a realtor running a report on recent comps and and will give me a number that he would list it for.

    Thank you all!

     The lender is going to trashcan a seller-ordered appraisal anyways, same with an appraisal you order. Possibility one is you're both wasting money on extra appraisal fees for no reason. Possibility two is the lender's appraisal comes in short, in which case you both wasted money on appraisals AND a bunch of time. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.