Is a $750k investment property too much for us?

Is a $750k investment property too much for us?

Somewhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 0 votes

TLDR: $750k house in best part of town on a $140k single person salary, with a $2500 mother-in-law suit and 2 extra airbnb rooms.  Am I stretching myself too thin?

We currently have $100k equity in an up and coming part of town (read fast growth, but still sketchy) where my wife and I live with our 1 year old daughter.  We recently found a deal for a $750k 4/2 with a 2/1 separate building on the property.  This property is in the BEST spot for our city (also going up in value due to expansion from the downtown of our city), 3/2 are going for $650 and some newer homes are 1.5 million.  Great schools, young families, right by the park, etc.  Home just need cosmetic updates to old cabinets, etc.

Rent for the 2/1 could easily get $2500.   My income is $140k gross (software engineer), my wife currently stays at home with our child, but could go bring in $30k-$40k if needed.

My question is if we put the $150k down (with $100k via a HELOC), rent out the back, and do some airbnb ($100-$150 in the area) with the extra rooms in the main house. We would end up paying around $1500 monthly after renting (rough calculations).

Are we stretching ourselves too thin?

0Reply
34 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 184 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Do you have a 401k or something to show banker you have funds? If not, a lot of lenders are going to require that $150k to sit & season in your account for a few months. So plan on that. What is your plan with this property? Cash flow, appreciation play or ?? From a cashflow perspective this looks like a dog unless those Airbnb units bring in a couple thousand on a regular basis.
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Zak K. Being an engineer too I started with sfhs. I would say start there and move quickly upward.
  • Somewhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dennis Wasilewski:

    Do you have a 401k or something to show banker you have funds? If not, a lot of lenders are going to require that $150k to sit & season in your account for a few months. So plan on that.

    What is your plan with this property? Cash flow, appreciation play or ?? From a cashflow perspective this looks like a dog unless those Airbnb units bring in a couple thousand on a regular basis.

    @Dennis It's more of a quality of life play.  Be in best school district, best part of town, and pay close to to my current mortgage ($820).  the 4/2 in the area go for $3500 to $4500 monthly.  So if we stayed in 2/1 mortgage would be paid by tenant.  Also, I run a software company, so rubbing shoulders everyday with the business owners of the area, will pay much more than cash flow on the house.

    Does that make sense?  Or am I missing something. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Zak K., by saying you "currently have $100k equity", I hope you don't mean (for example), we only owe $300k, for our home that's worth $400k? (ie. That's not $100k borrowable equity!)

    That aside, it looks like you answered your own question when you wrote: "It's more of a quality of life play". So, are you just looking for support, for a choice you really want to make, regardless? Anyway, good luck...

  • Somewhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Brent Coombs  That is what I mean, the plan would be to sell that home.  Why is that bad?

    And  Yes i want to do it, but I know I am looking for reasons NOT to do it.  So I can make a more rational decision.  I have unbridled optimism, which I know is not always a good thing.

  • Rochester, MN · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 36 votes
    8y
    All of your investments should stand alone. A few vacancy’s could put you under.
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Zak K.:

    @Brent Coombs  That is what I mean, the plan would be to sell that home.  Why is that bad?

    And  Yes i want to do it, but I know I am looking for reasons NOT to do it.  So I can make a more rational decision.  I have unbridled optimism, which I know is not always a good thing.

    Hmmm. In that case, do you mean you'd be getting a bridging loan (rather than a HELOC)? Or, would you need to sell it before you'd clear a $100k deposit? 

    ie. By now admitting that you intend to sell your current primary, I guess you're also talking about treating this $750k property as your new primary? (ie. Not purely an investment?) 

    ie. A lot of this theoretical rent money might prove to be: largely smoke and mirrors?

    Or, sorry if I misread/misunderstood your earlier posts. Cheers...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.