Partnering on a deal with someone I just met

Partnering on a deal with someone I just met

Norton, OH · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 3 votes

So I bought a fixer upper single family house that was previously split into a duplex with the intentions of getting it rent ready and putting a mortgage on it to do a BRRRR strategy. The numbers look good for that as I bought it for $27k, it needs about $20k in rehab and it should appraise for at least $80k. My bank doesn't require me to wait so I can put a mortgage on for 80% appraised value right away (estimated $64k) which puts me in the house with between $10k - $15k in the bank and a good cashflow on the duplex (about 15% return after expenses).

This is where it gets tricky...

If I rehab this to top market I could probably sell it for $120k.  For a top market rehab I am all in around $70k.  That's not a bad return on a flip by any means.  The issue is I can't fund that much rehab money, nor do I need to for the original plan.  This is where a new investor comes in to the picture offering to fund and run the rehab entirely taking 50% of the profit when it sells.  As partners we are looking at about $40k total profit or $20k each.

If I were to partner with the guy, how would you structure that agreement?  We are both extremely motivated by profit at that point so I feel like we have a common incentive to maximize that margin.  How could I get screwed here?  I might not even take this route but it is tempting because I am newer in this journey and I could use the cash up front to help push my real estate career forward.

0Reply
10 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.