How to calculate cash flow on this property? Hold or sell?

How to calculate cash flow on this property? Hold or sell?

Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
Hi there, Here is my situation. As an accidental landlord since 2010 ( couldn't sell) I am deciding between to sell or hold. I bought this townhouse for $280 with FHA loan. Outstanding balance 220k. Biweekly mortgage ( P, interest,tax) $850, association fee $200/mo. Rent 2080/mo. On an average repair 2000/year. Agent fee 1 month rent. On an average 2 year lease. Now, the question is what is my cash flow? The property is at really great location, right next to train station and suburb downtown. No problem renting. If I decide to sell, I think I may get $260-280k. And if I continue to rent, rent will increase at least 100/mo each year. I am not sure if I should sell it or hold it. What you guys think and why?
0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 825 posts · 278 votes
8y

Monthly income= $2080

PIT+HOA = $1050

Repairs = $167 (2000/12)

Agent fee = $173 (2080/12)

Cash flow per month= $690

You didn't tell us how much your down payment was. If you want the Cash on Cash return = (annual cash flow)/(amount of cash spent to buy)

The question is can you do better than your current returns if you sold the place and used the cash elsewhere? Remember, selling is going to trigger sales expenses, and potentially taxes, so figure that in your decision.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 825 posts · 278 votes
    8y

    Monthly income= $2080

    PIT+HOA = $1050

    Repairs = $167 (2000/12)

    Agent fee = $173 (2080/12)

    Cash flow per month= $690

    You didn't tell us how much your down payment was. If you want the Cash on Cash return = (annual cash flow)/(amount of cash spent to buy)

    The question is can you do better than your current returns if you sold the place and used the cash elsewhere? Remember, selling is going to trigger sales expenses, and potentially taxes, so figure that in your decision.

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2010 · 110 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    Amanda. Did one of us read the OP wrong? I thought the $850 payment was bi-weekly.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    You're negative $100/mo cashflow roughly. That's before any reserves for capex, vacancy, and any property management. I say sell and invest in a positive cash flow property.
  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 825 posts · 278 votes
    8y

    @Frank Adams, good catch. You are correct. So yes, he is negative cash flow. Yikes!

  • Southington, CT · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Definitely sell! Try the BP rental property calculator to see how the numbers break down in addition to analyzing all future investment properties.
  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Thanks guys for your replies. Since it was FHA loan, I put 9k down but I paid 250/mo PMI till last Oct.

    So I have $100/mo negative cash flow. But how do you take approx 1% appreciation, 2% rent increase and principle portion of payment. So even if I break even, ain't I building equity? What about tax advantages? 

  • Jackson, MI · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    In your example - "even if I'm breaking even", you are certainly building equity.  If you're looking at a buy and hold strategy you're achieving at a minimum future wealth build.  If you're looking at the cash flow strategy you're losing.  Ideally you can have both.  If you look at the $ going in you should ask yourself if the return you're getting now (equity) is as good or better (or worse?) than what that $ could be returning in another investment.  That should help drive your decision on hold or sell.  

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    @Pranshu Adavadkar you're right. even though you are negative cash flow, tax benefits and debt pay down will make it a net positive. The thing is, that you can find all of those things, and have positive cash flow at the same time, so why bother with a negative cash flow property?
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Sell, regardless of how you manipulate the numbers this is a very poor choice as a income investment property. There is no income. Put as much polish on that tu*d as you wish and it will still never shine.

    If you really want to gamble your risks would be lower at the race track. If you want to invest then sell asap.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Sell, regardless of how you manipulate the numbers this is a very poor choice as a income investment property. There is no income. Put as much polish on that tu*d as you wish and it will still never shine.

    If you really want to gamble your risks would be lower at the race track. If you want to invest then sell asap.

     So I am thinking about selling it. Now question is at what price it won't make sense? Assuming 10% in commissions, closing cost and minor fixes below what price point I should say no to selling. My hunch is it will sell for 260-265k. So may be I will have 10k proceeds. 

    Is it then worth it? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.