Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this game so forgive me in advance. I am interested in buying a property (preferably a condo) in the downtown Silver Spring area in MD. My intention is to househack for a couple of years and eventually rent out the entire space.
The draws: the area has been booming for years. A lot of college students or recent college grads live there and it's becoming a city of its own independent of DC with plenty to do.
However, after some quick research, I am finding it near impossible to hit the 1% rule in that area. Most of the condos are $300K+ (not to mention the HOA's or any renovations), but average rent is around $2K.
Is there any possible way to come out above water in this area or should I give up hope and look somewhere else? Much appreciated!
Investor · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
8y
@Justin Saunders, Unfortunately, Downtown Silver Spring is pretty maxed out. I agree that you would be better looking further out. Even something up Route 29 would give you a little more to see.
Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 126 posts · 37 votes
8y
Hey Justin,
Tough area to be honest. I would look on the outskirts in PG like Hyattsville, Oxon Hill, Temple Hills. I know that's a little down the beltway but you will achieve a greater roi.
Investor · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
8y
@Justin Saunders, Unfortunately, Downtown Silver Spring is pretty maxed out. I agree that you would be better looking further out. Even something up Route 29 would give you a little more to see.
Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
8y
@Michael Upshur, that certainly is unfortunate since I'd really like to live there. I was hoping someone would say there was a secret sauce that could make it work like certain neighborhoods or expected appreciation in downtown. I can start to expand my search.
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y
You are not going to come anywhere close to the 1% rule to live in a very desireable place like Silver Spring. If thats the ratio you want, youd have to be in cheaper condos in Germantown, Frederick, or southern PG county.
You do however have higher demand in Silver Spring, which will likely lead to higher asset price growth than in the areas previously mentioned that have higher intial cash growth. Also in areas like Silver Spring, along with asset price growth you typically have higher rent growth. My rents in Silver Spring go up roughly $100 a year on my single family homes