How much of a down payment should I put on my primary residence?

How much of a down payment should I put on my primary residence?

Commercial Real Estate Broker · Tustin, CA · Member since 2010 · 51 posts · 26 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm a new investor and I am looking to buy a primary residence as well as a (separate) investment property. I have the money to put down a large down payment on my primary residence, or possibly buy it outright, but should I?

I have heard some RE gurus advise not to use debt to buy anything that does not create income (i.e. doodads). And my primary residence would fall into that category.

But if I put a little bit down and take out a loan for the rest, then I could take advantage of the low interest rate, first time homebuyer specials (like FHA loans), and that would leave me more money to invest with.

I really don't know how long I would stay in this home - it would be a starter home and I would likely move out in a few years, and maybe rent it out for income.

I would like to hear your thoughts and advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Mike

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y

Many sellers will give a fairly significant discount if you are a cash buyer and can close quickly without a financing contingency. So it may be worth making low-ball cash offers on a few properties that you like and seeing if you can get a great deal and then refinance at a comfortable LTV and invest the proceeds into your investment ventures.

I once had a buyer who claimed to be a cash buyer, got a discounted price from me, and then went ahead and financed the deal. I did not object because he was able to close by the deadline and the financing contingency did not exist. So you can do this as well if the loan terms are better for an acquisition than a refinance.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    If you are planning to invest in other RE, it makes sense to keep your home leveraged at a comfortable level. Use the remaining cash to find investment property(s) that will cash flow.

    It is less expensive to put a smaller down payment down rather than trying to refi later to pull out cash to invest with.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2010 · 151 posts · 59 votes
    16y

    Cash is king! Although many folks may vehemntly disagree with this, i am always in favor of keeping more cash in my account. If you can buy with less downpayment, i would do it. Conserve your cash. The more you have the more banks will loan to you without you having to use it. Also, in this business, you never know when you'll need to replace an air conditioning system or something else expensive.

    Cash is King

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mike L.:
    I have the money to put down a large down payment on my primary residence, or possibly buy it outright, but should I?


    In general, I prefer as small a down payment as possible, but that has to be weighed against other factors, like paying PMI (flushing cash down the toilet). The ability to purchase the entire property outright is an enviable position as well, but then you have to start looking at opportunity costs, i.e., what else can you be doing with that money?

    In between paying all cash and 100% financing is a happy medium where you can get good finance terms without draining all your bank accounts. After all, what good is owning a house outright if there's nothing left for groceries?
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Didn't really follow the post just above mine....? Anyway, anything above 80% LTV in one loan, will require MIP or PMI which is a premium for insurance to cover a per centage of the loan in the event you default. When you factor this in, your effective rate or APR will be higher. But, so long as you payments are manageable, and since you intend to sell or lease the property in the future, obtaining the higher loan is probably a good bet. I hope you're going for a fixed rate! Keeping you cash in this situation is a wise move, IMO. Good luck, Bill

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    This question is really difficult to answer without knowing a great deal more about your situation. The Mortgage Professor's site has a TON of great information to educate you about the right loan product. I would suggest you read through a bunch of the articles on there before you decide what to do.

    Debt is so cheap right now that I think you would be foolish to buy the house all cash. I would recommend putting enough cash down to get a very good loan product. 30-year, fixed-rate debt is in the 4.5%ish range right now and is likely closer to 4% if you count tax shields. You won't find cheaper debt anywhere than that so I would suggest you finance your home appropriately and invest your cash in deals. Keep in mind you should keep some cash liquid for staying power too.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Mike L- Fullerton!! My birthplace and the home of Weese Investments, 2701-2751 E. Chapman Ave. Go past it and see if the two buildings are still called Weese Financial Plaza. I bought it 35 years ago and made my money there.
    As to your question. I also agree to keep the equity low. You're really buying an investment property, that may be sold or may be rented out in the near future. Therefore, minimum down with manageable payment, keep ADAQUATE reserves , and buy some more property . Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Many sellers will give a fairly significant discount if you are a cash buyer and can close quickly without a financing contingency. So it may be worth making low-ball cash offers on a few properties that you like and seeing if you can get a great deal and then refinance at a comfortable LTV and invest the proceeds into your investment ventures.

    I once had a buyer who claimed to be a cash buyer, got a discounted price from me, and then went ahead and financed the deal. I did not object because he was able to close by the deadline and the financing contingency did not exist. So you can do this as well if the loan terms are better for an acquisition than a refinance.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    16y

    Are you in Jumbo loan territory? If not, I like these FHA programs for you with a low down payment and rates in the high 4s. I would make offers with 45-60 day close and offer low. Pay cash if you need to and finance if you can. If you pay cash you can still refi or use it in a line of credit once you get established.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Hi, Vikram passed on a good idea or strategy, but just as a caution to those thinking of trying it, you better be able to close on the closing date (unless there are title problems) as you are committed to buy. If your loan drags out at all, for any reason, the seller could have gotten a better offer, stick you with default (generally 10%) and sell it to his other buyer! I have made offers like this but you better be able to perform. Bill

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Bill is right. My buyer had already arranged his financing AND he also had cash in the bank to close quickly. So he took a chance on the financing coming through in time and was able to do it. If you decide to go this route, I recommend that you do your due diligence on lenders in your area and find one that has a track record of quick appraisals and closes and make your cash offer with a COE based on when they can close.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jeffrey Koenig:
    Are you in Jumbo loan territory?

    I assume Mike is looking for a primary residence in Orange County, CA, which IS jumbo loan territory, unless he wants to live in a shoebox. :wink:

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    I like to have my primary paid for. It has to do with comfort level.

    A couple of considerations: If you have all cash, you can make insultingly low offers and get yourself a real bargain.

    Cash is a very strong position for offering on foreclosures.

    If you do not have a mortgage on your home, your debt to income ratio should be exceptionally good and make it easier to obtain financing for a rental property.

    I'd pencil it out. Free and clear home with a mortgage on a rental vs a lower mortgage rate on a home and a free and clear rental, vs financing everything and buying a home plus a couple of rentals. keep in mind your debt to income ratio, because banks aren't so generous about considering rent as income as they used to be.

    My opinion is that this is not a good market to get over-extended. It's difficult to sell if you discover you can't make the payments, and the tenant pool is weak, with some tenants losing their jobs with the weak economy. So be very conservative when you figure possible income from the rentals, so you don't get yourself backed into a corner.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 693 votes
    16y

    Buy your investment property first and get it leased so when you go to buy your primary you can use the income from the rental. Otherwise you're going to ding your Debt to income ratio when you buy your primary first.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    I liked the points by PNW and Mark, HOWEVER------ There are some benefits to investors/owners by having a mortgage on their home. I choose to live in a nice home, mortgaged to the hilt for the interest deductions(one of few interest deductions still allowed). I have other homes F&C if I need to have one available in case of catastrophe. This provides me the same living conditions, more deductions, and a security blanket if necessary.
    This is same philosophy as I have on parrallel investment/income streams debated a week or so ago. I'll stand on the same beliefs. Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Rich - all good points. One thing that W-2 earners have to watch is that personal residence mortgage interest deductions phase out as income (AGI) goes up; if in that situation, it is actually best to have mortgages on investments where interest is always deductible, and no mortgage on personal residence (where deduction would phase out).

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Agreed Steve- as you know, I have mortgages on both rentals and personal residence- in one of my portfolios... Rich

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    ... it is actually best to have mortgages on investments where interest is always deductible, and no mortgage on personal residence (where deduction would phase out).

    The deduction (loss) allowed on passive income, e.g., rental properties, phases out also above an AGI of $100,000 and falls to zero at $150k unless one of the filers is a real estate professional.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    16y

    I just bought my primary residence free and clear, I got a big discount about 25% for going that route.

    The refinance process has been pretty difficult.

    If you can go FHA... that would have been my first choice.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Mitch- as you know, it doesn't take much to be a real estate "professional". For those that don't know, you don't have to have a real estate license. Rich

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.