Central , OH · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 2 votes
I'm sure this may be frowned upon because of fact that would be considered disturbing the tenant. However recently I have had a large amount of homes in my area hitting the mls as curb offers only. Has anyone approached a home (without realtor) and tried to maybe offer the tenant/owner a little bit of cash for there time if they are uncooperative I feel you could really feel somebody out in just an hour (living conditions, home condition, type of person that's going to destroy home etc) and it would give me a huge advantage over other buyers and lower risk..Also could this be done in pre foreclosure homes facing sherriff sale..but most importantly is this even legal?
Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y
1) I would assume if it is for sale, your contract would have an inspection clause, so no real risk
2) For sheriff’s sales, yes, knock on the door.
What are they going to do.....take away your birthday?
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
8y
I'm buying houses on Sheriff sale and if there is people living, it's a bad idea to knock on the door.
1. If there is a tenant, he will call the landlord that the property is going to foreclosure. You won't believe but some people have no clue. The landlord will file bankruptcy and you won't get the house anyway.
2. If there are people who are losing the house and you knock on the door - well, I hope you can deal with any aggression. Have you seen vandalized houses? People who are losing everything in their life and have nothing left, totally destroy their house by pouring cement into the plumbing, cutting off electric wires, destroying walls, roof etc. Now, all that negative energy might be focused on you as a potential buyer or just a trespasser
So, if legal aspects of the trespassing don't bother you, at least keep your safety in mind