Advise Needed: Owner says one price then raises it

Advise Needed: Owner says one price then raises it

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 7 votes

Any advice welcomed! I have shown interest in a gutted home in my neighborhood for about a year now. I plan to tear down the dilapidated property and build a new home to flip. The area is hot and has other new construction going on. I spoke with the owner, an older investor himself, for the 4th time asking if he would sell. He finally gives me a number he wants, 275K for the lot. I agree because other homes in the area that have been bought for new construction have sold for around 265-275K. I send him a contract for the exact amount he mentions. After a week, he calls and says he wants 10K more. 

Here are the numbers:

285K for lot

350K for the new construction

700 minimum sales price based on comps

65K estimated return before taxes in 9 months to one year

Should I give him the extra 10K he wants? Should I counter? I'm afraid of making him mad because that lot is one of the best lots in the neighborhood and very convenient to my current residence. He also owns the home next to it but he rents it out. He owns other homes in the area but this lot is his best for a new construction strategy. Any unconventional counter strategy you would recommend?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 69 votes
8y
Frank S. This guy is definitely playing some hardball. Only way to do something here is to be strong right back. Don’t give him what he wants again (285k) Why not go back to him and say that you thought 275 was a done deal. Let him feel your frustration as you were under the impression that you were already giving him what he wanted. Then tell him to split the difference here and that 280 is your absolute top. He has to take that! If you give in twice to his demands, there’s no stopping him to do something again or during contract.
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Verbal agreements are not enforceable .

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 69 votes
    8y
    Frank S. This guy is definitely playing some hardball. Only way to do something here is to be strong right back. Don’t give him what he wants again (285k) Why not go back to him and say that you thought 275 was a done deal. Let him feel your frustration as you were under the impression that you were already giving him what he wanted. Then tell him to split the difference here and that 280 is your absolute top. He has to take that! If you give in twice to his demands, there’s no stopping him to do something again or during contract.
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    I agree with what others have said, in that you should be firm and see what happens, the only reason he could justifiably raise the price like that in my mind would be if he got another offer at $285 and is asking you to match it.  If he has no other offers then try to stick to your original agreement.

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Is $65k pre-tax profit a good return on a $635k new build? Lots of variables along the way without much margin. But then again, I could buy half my town for $635k so what do I know....

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    8y

    @Frank S.  I would seriously look at your margins. For me, I would not do the deal at $275k if your construction costs and sales price are accurate.  Have you done this before and your initial number are just ultra conservative?  Heck, if you pay at 6% sales commission on a $700k price, thats $42k of your "estimated return".

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Ryan Murdock @Mike Wood These numbers are very conservative. In a more real-world scenario, the construction cost will be 300K and the sales price will be 800K. The area is very hot and did not flood during the last few major storms Houston has experienced (I'm in Texas). I just always look at the worst case scenario with numbers. I'm still a rookie. This would be only my 2nd new construction project. I have always been told I make money when I purchase so that's why I was taken back when the seller asked for more money after speaking with him for months.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Frank S. I think you are letting your feelings get involved. Keep your head cool, you can always find more opportunities. Keep firm the price. 

  • Gary NelsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Branson, MO · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 93 votes
    8y
    That’s frustrating! Sounds like you know the area well and are already vested in the neighborhood, so it’s not as risky of a chase as most other negotiations IMO. Any value in partnering with the seller? Less risk for you getting in the deal and more potential upside for him later on - in addition to any residual benefits from the relationship.
    Gary Nelson Real Estate, EXP Realty, LLC554 Reviews
  • Investor · Nassau County, NY · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 43 votes
    8y
    As others already pointed out, that $65k isn't firm. Take into account the holding costs, selling costs, etc - what profit do you foresee if everything goes perfectly? Can you afford to lose $10k more? Probably not since 'perfect' is pretty rare. I'd try to walk him back to $275k. To me it sounds like he thinks he started too low since you didn't haggle at the start. Good luck, Carol
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.