Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Redgy Saint-Germain
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Refinance with 203k rehab money left over

Redgy Saint-Germain
  • Boston, MA
Posted

Hello guys,

I am a newbie here and seeking for some answers regarding an FHA loan. I bought a property using a 203k rehab loan and I was wondering about what will happen if you have reno money left over in your escrow account when you refinance your property?

Redgy

User Stats

Votes
Benn Albrecht
  • Pleasant Valley, NY
Votes |
  • Pleasant Valley, NY
Replied

@Redgy Saint-Germain I'm currently in the process of a 203k loan and my mortgage officer said they would apply the left over balance to my mortgage balance as a principle payment, but the monthly payment would stay the same.

How much do you think you will have leftover ?

User Stats

Votes
Redgy Saint-Germain
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied

@Benn Albrecht Thanks for the quick response, I believe I should have 10k or more left over from the contingency funds.

Do you know whether its an automatic process or will I have to ask the lender to do so ?

Redgy

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Benn Albrecht
  • Pleasant Valley, NY
Votes |
  • Pleasant Valley, NY
Replied

@Redgy Saint-Germain Not sure. When you find more info post it here, I would like to know for myself haha

User Stats

Votes
Michael Cohen
  • Investor
  • Towson, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Towson, MD
Replied

Hi all - any remaining funds from Reno loans go towards principal curtailment. You won't get the funds back as cash.

If it's a significant amount, talk to your lender about change orders. Maybe you can do something else.

User Stats

Votes
Redgy Saint-Germain
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied

@Michael Cohen Thanks for the info. I got confused a bit because the seller of the property had about 19k left in their escrow account at closing time from a 203k loan for the same property. They did not finish the work and I ended up buying the property with one APT half way done because according to them no contractor was willing to finish the work for nineteen thousand dollars. I may be wrong but I believe that money was returned to them on closing day.

Redgy

User Stats

Votes
Michael Cohen
  • Investor
  • Towson, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Towson, MD
Replied

That's a different situation: the loan was not completed due to being unable to find a way to complete the work. If under normal circumstances, when the loan is complete, the remaining funds (typically just the 10%-15% contingency) go towards principal curtailment.  

User Stats

Votes
Redgy Saint-Germain
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. 

Redgy

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I closed on a 203k last Friday. That same day (after the closing) I realized there are major misunderstandings between me and the contractor ($10,000 worth of misunderstandings). I want to switch contractor now. He has not started any work yet and is not owed any money. I contacted my lender and she said that unless the old contractor signs a release, I cannot switch contractors. My question has 2 parts. 1) is there a way to change the contractor without his release since he has done nothing to the house yet? 2) worse case scenario, I can use my own money to rehab the house. But what would happen to the $50K in escrow for the rehab? Can this money be returned towards the principal?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

question ! If you have  leftover of $18.000

On the escrow, is going the full amount reversal to your principal or the bank keeps the mortgage payment ?