I have found my Mr Miagi.... how to craft partnership?

I have found my Mr Miagi.... how to craft partnership?

Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes

Well, one of the main things people say on here when starting out is to find an experienced investor that you vibe with, and work with him or her... and learn.  I have found this person.  He is a local Mortgage broker with several dozen flips under his belt.  He is trustworthy.

We have talked about a couple deals, and we are offering on one now.  He has his own $, and contractors all day.  He wants to do a simple equity split.  I put in a third, I get a third.  whatever % I put in on the deals we do, I get that % of profit.  No PM fees, no nothing.  I think this is a pretty sweet offer to be honest.  I told him I want to watch, and learn.  Then do deals solo later on, or work together, or both.  He said hell yes.  His statement was that the more deals we find, and do the better, and he would rather just split straight % and do more deals than argue about % if he brings the contractors etc..

It appeals to me for two reasons.  One, I can learn, and meet people.  and 2, in my area prices are insane, making points and interest tough for me to fit in the property flip calculator.  Joining forces lets me do a deal and not get leveraged so hard.  Maybe have 2 going at once.  

Am I missing anything?  Should I ask for something different?

1Reply
11 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    9y

    bump

  • ., OH · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 127 votes
    9y

    I guess I'm not sure what you're waiting for but...

    "I put in a third, I get a third. whatever % I put in on the deals we do, I get that % of profit. No PM fees, no nothing."  <--No fee's or other misc payments to a private lender who will fund you...??

    Can I get this guy's number..??

    But seriously, take this guy/girl to dinner and make a deal man!!

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    9y

    ha.  No he isnt funding my deals, we are going to work together with our own $.... do the flip together with each partner getting the % of profits against the % they put in...

  • Nelson LealPro Member
    Aviation Sales / Investor · Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 45 votes
    9y
    Perhaps jayj was not clear. DO THE DEAL. You found a partner with more experience, willing to mentor you, offer up his vendors/contacts to work the project and you get the same % split on profit that you put in. Your getting paid to learn priceless information and experience. DO THE DEAL! Of course this is after vetting they guy but you did say you trust him so.........you know what I'm going to say, you go ahead and say it for us..............
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    9y

    I think that is fair for most partnerships at first. I think if you bring a deal to the table though, you should be rewarded per se if you only have 5% of the funds, I would assume there should be a bump to at least 10% of the profits. If he is letting you just put money in on his deals and get a equal % split per the money you invested, if he is trustworthy, sounds like you hit the jackpot. 

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    9y

    great points.  Yes I am very excited.

    especially in the beginning I am not going to worry about finders fees etc..  Just like he isnt trying to chisel me for using his network...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.