First Time Homebuyer, Live in or Rent all out

First Time Homebuyer, Live in or Rent all out

Somerville, MA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys,

So I live in the beautiful and expensive Suffolk county area of Massachusetts (boston) and looking at the REI opportunities available to me. I am strictly interested in the MF units of at least 3+ units as they seem to hold the best potential for a positive NOI on a yearly basis. I run specific numbers for each listing to see if it would qualify for what I am looking for. A lot of the units don't simply because of the rental rates and the property taxes/mortgage expenses that I would need to cover for each month, not including expenses. Some investments would only trickle 6k cashflow and wouldn't be worth the time and energy to put into it. This is also if I rent all the units and don't live in them.

Since I essentially am looking for the best opportunity available, I see myself using an FHA loan and find a place to cover those interest and insurance I will have to pay on top of the mortgage itself and property taxes. However, if I choose not to live in the MF unit, and just rent out everything, what are the pros and cons of that? Would I be able to claim the entire property as a tax deductible business expense (appreciation, interest payments, tax payments made for the house itself, etc.). I just want to know as much as I can about this kind of investment from those who may have experienced this before. I really don't see/know the benefits of house hacking if I can just rent out the entire thing and live somewhere else for free (living out of my parents home, for example, but right now I rent) for a couple years.

Any info will be helpful and if I am being too broad, I apologize, I am still new to this (only been researching this stuff for 2 weeks now) and constantly absorbing what I can.

Thanks

0Reply
30 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    Hey Luke!

    A few thoughts

    1. FHA will only go up to 4 units and is for Owner Occupied properties only. If you wanted to buy it as a straight investment then you are looking at a Conventional Loan and putting 25% down as opposed to 3.5% down with an FHA Owner Occupied.

    2. FHA only requires that you plan on living in the home for 1 year, so a great route to go is to buy your 3/4 family owner occupied, live there for a year and gain invaluable landlord experience, then move out/rent that unit and buy a single family (if you like!) for 5% down using a conventional loan. Now you are looking at cash flow from the multi/appreciation/tax benefits as well as having your single family home you are living in paid for or at least supplemented.

    Let me know if this makes sense and any other questions.

    KP

  • Somerville, MA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hey Keith,

    Thanks for the great info, that definitely helps narrow down the field. Also good to know I only need to live in the house for 1 year and then can rent out that unit too. I would probably avoid buying the single family unit afterwards as it wouldn't be much of a cashflow and more of a liability against it. Rather re-invest the extra income into another multi-family to expand the cash flow and still receive the appreciation, tax benefits and NOI. Would also add as a security against each other in times when one unit fails to pull in income (worst case scenario of course).

    Quick question; what do you think the perks are of investing into a rental outside of the state of MA (such as RI or New Hampshire?)

    Thanks,

  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    Investing out of state can be both beneficial and risky, but if you play safe you should be fine :) You might have you interview multiple property managers and learn how to manage your PMs. If an investment property is in a driving distance, you needn't hire any PM and learn to do it your self since it teaches you a lot of things. 

  • Somerville, MA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Well both locations are within an hour drive of where I am and the investment for those properties are substantially cheaper in regards to where I am located (the boston area). I want to avoid investing in a PM right now, considering I need the learning experience and don't mind the commuting (used to it, with 2 hours of traffic a daily thing lol). However, I am weighing the risks and rewards of being a landlord in these states as opposed to MA where the laws strongly favor the tenant. Been reading the landlord laws and just looking to see what people's experiences were in regards to that. 

    Thank you for the information though :)

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I moved to NH simply to invest in real estate over 20 years ago, and all my rentals are in NH.  I wouldn't have a MA rental property.  Not that I'm biased, or anything.  :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.