Hello to all the fine folks at BP!
I live in an expensive market. I'm also studying REI and building up a down payment for a property sometime down the line. These things take time, but...
Is it even worth looking for a first property (I'm mostly interested in 2-4 unit multi-family) in an expensive market? Sure, there's 3% down lenders (which I haven't met yet) and FHA. But, at what cost?
I want to live in my own home, and rent out other units. However, four or five properties can be purchased in other markets for the same price as one property in the Oakland/East Bay area.
If you've gone through similar thought exercises, what were your conclusions? If you've invested for a long-time, what are your words of wisdom? Advice? Thoughts?
I'm interested to hear what the minds of BP have to say about the topic.
Cheers!!
@Dylan Grabowski Like all the other posters, I feel your pain. The lifelong debate of appreciation vs cashflow is something that everyone struggles with. However, after many months of deliberating, I came to the conclusion that as a newbie investor you should go with cashflow. With cashflow, you may make less money in the end, but you'll be able to get in the game and get your feet wet with a low risk asset (losing 40k hurts a lot less than losing 1M).
I attended a workshop where one of the speakers (Eungelo Rumora from Ohio Cashflow) said, "you can't eat equity". It's true, you may get an asset in the Bay Area that has appreciated greatly, but if the rents are still not keeping up with your mortgage payment, then the only way to get money from the asset is to sell it (refinancing it will only increase your debt service). Once you sell the property, then you'll be in the same situation as you were before. Cash on hand but no cash inflow.
If you focus on cashflow instead, you can purchase a property, refinance your principal out in the future, and still have an appreciating asset that gives you positive cashflow every month, while paying your debt service down.
It sucks investing outside of your backyard, but it's easier than having negative cashflow for years.
Good luck!
I'm going to keep my answer circled more around the idea of spending what you would have to for you to live in the property you want as an investment property versus using that money for straight investment properties in other markets.
In short...do the math. Figure out how much you will pay in rent to rent a place to live in (then you can live anywhere you want and it not be dependent on where you can find a property too), versus how much [negative] cash flow you will take the hit on each month on an MFR you live in. I think it will be obvious which option will actually cost you more...
But I totally hear you. I'm down south in Venice Beach and it's the same issue here. I was recently looking at buying some places around here, but to buy a building exactly where I really want to live will be $1M/door, easily...and whichever door I don't live in will only rent for $3500-5500. So that little of rent against the $1M pricetag...pshaw. Ouch. So I rent here, live exactly where I want, and buy investment properties for way cheaper and way nicer returns elsewhere. Granted, they don't have the appreciation potential like the properties here, but prices are so ridiculously high right now, not sure it's exactly the time to buy for appreciation.
For more details on my considerations when I was wondering the same thing you are now, check out an old article I wrote-
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/01/1...
Hope that helps!
Hey, just wanted to add my own situation here. We Californians have a huge barrier to entry, but if you can get in, it seems like you could appreciate nicely. But it's a gamble, right?
I'd love to buy for cash flow as a buy and hold investment, but I don't know where. I've looked at Jacksonville, FL since I lived there and have a place there, but it's far. I've looked in Texas but the taxes and insurance are high. I looked at Vegas and prices don't seem conducive to cash flow right now.
So, those are all options, and I'm open to other markets too, I just don't know them as well.
You get a whole lot of noise, listening to podcasts and reading BP. Sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff...
You can get lost in all the research and try to make the "best" decision, but I think in the end, you just have to jump in and go for it.
I need to practice what I'm preaching...
@Dylan Grabowski Like all the other posters, I feel your pain. The lifelong debate of appreciation vs cashflow is something that everyone struggles with. However, after many months of deliberating, I came to the conclusion that as a newbie investor you should go with cashflow. With cashflow, you may make less money in the end, but you'll be able to get in the game and get your feet wet with a low risk asset (losing 40k hurts a lot less than losing 1M).
I attended a workshop where one of the speakers (Eungelo Rumora from Ohio Cashflow) said, "you can't eat equity". It's true, you may get an asset in the Bay Area that has appreciated greatly, but if the rents are still not keeping up with your mortgage payment, then the only way to get money from the asset is to sell it (refinancing it will only increase your debt service). Once you sell the property, then you'll be in the same situation as you were before. Cash on hand but no cash inflow.
If you focus on cashflow instead, you can purchase a property, refinance your principal out in the future, and still have an appreciating asset that gives you positive cashflow every month, while paying your debt service down.
It sucks investing outside of your backyard, but it's easier than having negative cashflow for years.
Good luck!
@Dylan Grabowski Like all the other posters, I feel your pain. The lifelong debate of appreciation vs cashflow is something that everyone struggles with. However, after many months of deliberating, I came to the conclusion that as a newbie investor you should go with cashflow. With cashflow, you may make less money in the end, but you'll be able to get in the game and get your feet wet with a low risk asset (losing 40k hurts a lot less than losing 1M).
I attended a workshop where one of the speakers (Eungelo Rumora from Ohio Cashflow) said, "you can't eat equity". It's true, you may get an asset in the Bay Area that has appreciated greatly, but if the rents are still not keeping up with your mortgage payment, then the only way to get money from the asset is to sell it (refinancing it will only increase your debt service). Once you sell the property, then you'll be in the same situation as you were before. Cash on hand but no cash inflow.
If you focus on cashflow instead, you can purchase a property, refinance your principal out in the future, and still have an appreciating asset that gives you positive cashflow every month, while paying your debt service down.
It sucks investing outside of your backyard, but it's easier than having negative cashflow for years.
Good luck!
Thanks for mention mate
Always base your decisions on the numbers in the deal as they stand today and not what they might look like tomorrow.
Predicting a future value is playing a very risky game IMO
Much success