Off the Market / Pocket Deals - Closing Correctly

Off the Market / Pocket Deals - Closing Correctly

Liberty Hill, TX · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 1 vote

Hi, Im an investor looking to start calling potential off market residential homes in my area through leads and list of properties that may have owners highly interested in selling their home. I'm aware that every situation will be different in respects to: current bank loan/ back taxes, leans, owned outright with no mortgage/ property condition and location what I am struggling with is what are the things I need to be aware of. Examples of what I mean are. If it would be a cash purchase for me and possibly no realtor involved. 

1. How do I assure I'll be the property wound have any leans and is free and clear to sell? 

2. If it has a current mortgage, would I be better off contacting the bank to take over payments and transferring the deed into my name?

3. Is it as simple as drawing up a residential sales contract and opening title at a title company? Does everything look the same as I was going with a realtor? 

4. What are some of the red flags you may look for or things that you have to be careful about when negotiating a deal?

5. To me it seems like the bones are all drawn out at the title company. How does the title company play a roll into it? I have read about doing wrap loans, but also heard assuming mortgages are very hard these days.

What are some of the weapons some of you have used to help assist on off the market or pocket deal in respect to closing. I have heard of people having 5 day closes after inspections. Thank you in advance

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    9y
    A title company will assure the property is transferred without any liens, etc by doing a title search, so you get a clean title. To protect you against anything they didn't discover or anything that could come up in the future that wasn't recorded at the time of sale they issue you title insurance. (Technically you COULD avoid paying for this but 99.9% of the time you never want to forgo this). They will also handle payoffs with the bank, etc. Each situation will be different whether it is worth it to you and the seller for you to assume the mortgage, and whether the mortgage company will even allow that. Most times it is just easier to pay them off. Yes use a standard sale contract. Most states have a standard one all agents use, but some investors have their own versions they use as well. Check for your state on a standard one or with some other investors in your state that might use an abridged version. And yes this will be the same steps that will done as if you were using an agent. You will have to be aware of timelines in the contract, setting up any inspections, appraisals, etc. You will have to be the one educating the seller on the process. A quick 5-7 day close is still possible, it all depends on how quick the title search can come back. If it is a cash deal the only things that need to be done are the title search and how quickly the closing docs can be drawn up, anything else is at the discretion of the buyer and seller (time to find a place for the seller if they still live there, any inspections the buyer wants, etc). Hope that clarifies some of your questions.
  • Liberty Hill, TX · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Brandon,

     Thank you for your reply and that was a huge help. What I think I will love the most is talking to a potential seller and working out deals off the market. I am currently looking for a good lead site, which I might have found one in (successor date . com ) to start cold calling potentail sellers that may be needing to sell because of a bad situation. This way they don't get foreclosed and everyone wins. From your response, I would bet you have done this a time or two 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.