selling 2 investment properties this year, TAXES??

selling 2 investment properties this year, TAXES??

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP community, My wife and I own 4 rental properties in Denver, 3 of them single family homes and one is a duplex. This year we are planning to sell one single family home and possibly another if capital gains don't interfere. 

House #1: My primary house 2010-2015.

House #2: Wife's primary house 2010-2014

We got married 2014, she moved in to house #1 with me for 6 months before we bought another house which we moved into 2015. 

So both houses we are looking to sell were our individual primary residency for at least 2 of last 5 years. Neither house has both of our names on the title since we both bought them when we were single. So if we sell both houses this year and file taxes jointly then we should be able to profit up to $500k right? And to find the Capital Gain do we simply take the sell price minus the buy price? I've also read you can deduct home improvements and realtor commissions (is that sale commission only?). 

Thanks for your help figuring this out. Seems every website I read about this stuff says something different... ugh taxes.

0Reply
20 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    9y

    Of course you will want to check with a CPA but your plan sound like a good and very efficient one to me.  You can include home improvements and commissions as well as other costs such as professional/legal fees, surveys etc in your basis so those will decrease your tax burden further.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    We meet with our CPA next month so I will ask her for sure. I found one website that states: "However, you can take advantage of this exclusion only once every two years.".

    I'm guessing they are just talking about a single filing tax payer and since we can still sell 2 house sells in the same year without capital gains tax <500k with our circumstance?

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    9y

    @Leland Dunn Everything you describe looks accurate based on the way I understand it. You can deduct costs to well the property, commissions, title, concessions, etc and any costs related to improving the home for resale (possibly more like if you rehabbed it while you lived there). Although I feel pretty confident in all of it - your best bet is consulting your CPA to make sure you don't have any surprises. Based on the time lines you described you may want to get moving on your wife's previous primary so you don't miss the window.

    Good Luck!

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Hey @Leland Dunn. I'm not CPA, so take that disclaimer for all it's worth. But I do like research. Here are two sites that basically say that you can file jointly and both exclude up to  $250,000 from capital gains. (Or $500,000 total.) 

    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/avoid-capit...
    Scroll down to Marriage and Divorce and then underneath that Separate Residences.

    http://journal.firsttuesday.us/the-principal-resid...
    Scroll down to the heading No Disqualifying Marital Taint

    Hope this is helpful. But as the others have said, check with your CPA when you meet with them next week. Cheers!

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    You can only utilize the Primary exemption once every 2 years 

    If you guys file jointly you won't be able to utilize it on both houses. 

    I think you can file separately and each exclude the $250k 

    Just consider any other effects of filing separately for the year and how your tax impact may increase (depending on if you're a community property state it's almost always a better tax savings to file jointly) 

    Your CPA should be able to run a quick and dirty estimate both ways. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I did read you can only use it once every 2 years, but wasn't sure if filing separately would change that. I will talk to my CPA and let everyone know the outcome on this post. Thanks for all your input!

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    So my CPA told us that even if we file separately we can only utilize the use and ownership exemption once every 2 years. Which doesn't seem right to me because that means if we weren't married we could separately use the exclusion and not pay any taxes on 250k per house profit... but since we are married we can only sell one house instead of 2. I think I am going to reach out to another CPA, unless there is a tax forum website someone knows I can reach out to other experts??

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    You cannot report Did they both reside in each house together or was it separate? How are the houses titled?

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I I saw the full OP and will say it should be fine here is a similar example:
    During 2016, married taxpayers Joel and Winnie each sell a residence that each had separately owned and used as a principal residence before their marriage. Each spouse meets the ownership and use tests for his or her respective residence. Neither spouse meets the use requirement for the other spouse’s residence. Joel and Winnie file a joint return for 2016. The gain realized from the sale of Joel’s residence is $200,000. The gain realized from the sale of Winnie’s residence is $300,000. Because the ownership and use requirements are met for each residence by each respective spouse, Joel and Winnie are each eligible to exclude up to $250,000 of gain from the sale of their individual residences. However, Winnie may not use Joel’s unused exclusion to exclude gain in excess of her limitation amount. Joel and Winnie must recognize $50,000 of the gain realized on the sale of Winnie’s residence.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I really appreciate the example above Steven Hamilton II as it fits our situation. However, after further review of the IRS publication 523 I noticed the text in bold below and it clearly states one spouse cannot use the exclusion if the other has in the previous 2 years. Bummed, my CPA looks to be correct.

    Married, Divorced, Widowed
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Leland Dunn:

    I really appreciate the example above Steven Hamilton II as it fits our situation. However, after further review of the IRS publication 523 I noticed the text in bold below and it clearly states one spouse cannot use the exclusion if the other has in the previous 2 years. Bummed, my CPA looks to be correct.

    Married, Divorced, Widowed

     Neither of you have used it in the previous two years. Your situation follows my example perfectly. You will be using it in the same year.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    This has been a long painful journey to find a concrete answer and last week I made the mistake of calling the IRS for help. After waiting for 2 hours the first call (they hung up on me without speaking) and another hour on hold a second call I finally spoke to a person regarding capital gains and selling real estate. The lady who answered on the IRS side only gave me 2 sentences and I mentioned the word 'rental' property... she said 'STOP RIGHT THERE. NO. NO. IT'S A RENTAL PROPERTY SO OF COURSE YOU PAY CAPITAL GAINS. END OF STORY'. I was baffled, she had NO idea what she was talking about. When I tried to educate her of the 121 exclusion (2 out of 5 years as primary) she said that wasn't true, and may only be true if you rented a room out and not the whole house. I was so angry I couldn't speak to her any longer... so back to my own research I went. The GOOD NEWS I have talked to multiple CPA's and real estate investors to be 99% sure that we can sell both houses in the same year and not be responsible for capital gains tax. 

    I wanted to provide an update and closure to the thread. Oh, and I also came across this thread in BP with the exact same scenario:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/349...

    I can't believe how difficult this was to get a concrete answer on. And the IRS didn't help AT ALL! How are we supposed to follow the rules??? Thanks for listening.

    And thank you all for your input, I might have never proceeded with finding the true answer without everyone's optimistic views on this thread. It's going to be a great year for us!

    Leland

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.