50+ Multifamily Unit Offered to Me...HOW?!

50+ Multifamily Unit Offered to Me...HOW?!

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone! I'm a bit new to the community and appreciate any help here. 

Quick background: my partner (50/50) and I have done three deals, all very positive land/flip experiences. I've owner financed sold two of my previous primary residences, so I have a very moderate amount of experience.

We are now looking to buy/hold/BRRR strategy in a newer area, and was just speaking with a local agent about a multifamily property I was interested in. Long story short, she asked how many we were looking to purchase long term. I shared with her that we are beginning slowly, but want to ramp up to quite a few in the near future.

She told me she has a very close friend who is retiring and looking to exit his real estate interests in the same area as I was looking. He currently has over 50 (not positive on the number yet) each with 2 or more doors (some duplexes, tri-plexes, and quad). Rents in the neighborhood range from $500-$700 per unit. She said he was looking to cash out at around $90k per unit (not per door, sorry if I'm not saying this correctly). I would think we could talk him down to $80k or $70k per unit. There is currently around an 80% occupancy rate that would not change. 

We have a team in place in the area (my sister is local and would manage the properties for the time being, as well as contractors etc that she has used and trusts). So, my big questions are:

1. How much cash would one need to pull off a deal like this (i.e. how much does a bank require in a down payment for such a transaction)? 

2. Would it be better to go through a local bank or a national bank? 

3. Does this sound like something that is viable and feasible? 

4. The units were all built in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Appraised at the county for around $45-60k per, however there are three for sale in the area retailing around $97k-$110k. 

Thank you for whatever wisdom and help you can provide, I sincerely appreciate it!

0Reply
34 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    Not sure about your numbers since I don't know your local market, but if someone was offering it to me, I think I'd try real hard to make it work. I'd for sure go to a smaller local bank or credit union that does portfolio loans. If you're not sure about taking on all 50, would he/she let you start with a smaller chunk? If it cash flows as expected, maybe you could buy more in the next year. That might also help you with your financing because you'd then have more experience managing the units for profitable returns.

  • Real Estate Investor/Broker · Irving, TX · Member since 2015 · 520 posts · 263 votes
    9y
    We broker portfolios like this often. 80% LTV and 5% interest is a safe assumption through a commercial lender. $80k/unit with that low of rents sounds like you'd be overpaying... even if a brand new build. Best of luck.
  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    To answer your question, a bank will likely want to see you put down 20-30% of the purchase price plus have several months (often in the range of 3-6 months) expenses in reserve. You could also see if the seller wanted to Seller Finance. Even if they didn't want to finance 100% of the purchase, you might be able to put only 10% down, have the seller hold 10-20%, and have the remaining balance financed by a bank.
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi all thanks for your help! Mark Allen, can I clarify something? You mentioned I might be overpaying with rents at $80k per unit. I probably didn't say it correctly, each unit has at least two doors and each door rents for $500-$700. So, hoping to buy each one for $70-$80k and rent each one from $1000-$1400 (some are tri-plexes and quad-plexes and rents are similar per door). Does that help my case in your mind at all? Or are those the numbers you were assuming and therefore saying that it might be overpaying? 

    Chris Low, thanks for your reply, and great idea. Definitely in the consideration. Also, Mark A., great idea, I'll have to inquire if that's a possibility. 

    Thank you for your replies up to this point. 

  • Real Estate Investor/Broker · Irving, TX · Member since 2015 · 520 posts · 263 votes
    9y
    Charles Mercer those numbers produce a greater yield, so yes. Doors = units.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.