How are wholesalers calculating offers these days?

How are wholesalers calculating offers these days?

Wholesaler · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 6 votes

Hi Everyone:

I've recently gotten back to real estate wholesaling/investing after a long lay off. When I started back in 2003, I was trained by a very successful wholesaler team here in Atlanta to use the following formula when acquiring deals: 65% of the ARV - rehab cost - $10K (the target margin) = max offer to the seller.

Is this formula still applicable in the market today?

I watch other wholesale lists and I can't believe some of the asking prices out there. I wonder if the wholesaler is actually able to move properties that are priced outside of the aforementioned formula. If they are I also wonder how the buyer who actually takes possession of the property is actually able to make money.  

I welcome all comments. 

Thanks in advance!

Will

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 17 votes
9y

I think you seeing it about right. Its not a wholesalers job to make sure the flipper or landlord investor is getting a money making deal. Its the flipper or the landlords job to do that, so if there is enough interest in the market and the wholesaler can find a pool of investors willing to pay more then what you or I would - so be it. As best I can tell, that formula will do fine as a rule of thumb, and you should adjust it based on who your buyers are and what it costs you to find the deals. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    I think you seeing it about right. Its not a wholesalers job to make sure the flipper or landlord investor is getting a money making deal. Its the flipper or the landlords job to do that, so if there is enough interest in the market and the wholesaler can find a pool of investors willing to pay more then what you or I would - so be it. As best I can tell, that formula will do fine as a rule of thumb, and you should adjust it based on who your buyers are and what it costs you to find the deals. 

  • Investor · The Colony, TX · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 205 votes
    9y

    @Will Beatty Dallas is such a hot market right now I just take ARV-70%-rehab. I have sold the last two deals using that formula.

    ARV: $100,000 X .7 = $70,000 - $20,000 = $50,000. I can sell that deal all day long for $60,000 - $62,000. But, this is a unique market and flippers are running very tight margins.

  • Wholesaler · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    9y
  • Investor · Wasilla, AK · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 78 votes
    9y

    Depends on seller and how well you know your end buyers. I have investors that will buy at 92 cents. So if I go into a house with the .70 offer and they are stuck on XX dollar, I know my clients well enough that I can manipulate my offer based off who I know I now need to pitch it to. I also have a couple that don't do houses with rehabs lower than 60k because they love the game and only buy at .70 or better. Know your end buyers and come to the table with multiple exit strategies. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @Will Beatty Most of my wholesale deals these days go for around 80% of ARV minus repairs. Sometimes higher if a good rental.

  • Wholesaler · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Great insight @Brandon and @Andrew.  Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.