Parents and I have property that is surrounded by commercial

Parents and I have property that is surrounded by commercial

Avondale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote

Back story: My parents bought an acre lot with a house taking up around 2800sq/ft of the acre lot back when it was surrounded by agriculture land.

Fast forward a decade or so, the surrounding land has become commercialized. And by commercialized, I mean there are restaurants, a hotel, and even a sports complex literally right across the street (and a major highway i10 in Arizona within half a mile from the property).

Investors were in the process of buying our land, all the while I was witnessing construction all around us, turning the agriculture land to roads for lots and buildings and stuff. And then the 2008 crisis happened and everything stopped abruptly. And the deal never closed.

I was wondering how do I go about selling our land today? I'm new to the whole REI community, so sorry if I'm being a bit naive.

My dad thinks the property is worth $1.5 million and says he WILL NOT sell if he doesn't get his price. But I feel like he's being delusional and just picking that price out of the air (which would cost us potential sales)? How do I accurately estimate the price of the property (I look up on Zillow/Redfin/etc... and the price is estimated around $250,000, but I think that is very low and inaccurate because it doesn't take into account the potential commercial value of it).

How do I go about accurately estimating the value of the house and finding investors willing to purchase? Do I hire a professional to appraise the house? And if so, how could I go about doing that if I don't have much funds.

Again, I am still learning REI from scratch trying to wrap my head around the details.

I truly believe this land has potential, I just don't know how to proceed. Maybe some tips on learning material might help? Thanks!

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

Please make sure that you contact a Commercial Broker, not a residential Realtor. Big difference. Commercial will be more knowledgeable about zoning, land use, and most importantly price that commercial properties are selling for in the area.

One acre for $1.5million?? That might be a little high. Phoenix is pretty hot right now, maybe now is the best time to pay for an appraisal from an appraiser who does commercial properties.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sierra Vista, AZ · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed while I'm no expert, and surely someone else more qualified will answer you soon... I'd have to say that in your specific case the value of your property will not be based solely from cost comparison as is the norm with a residential home.  Since so many businesses have taken up the area, it will be based off of something much more fleeting -- the will of a business person/entrepreneur to create something in that space which they believe will drive a considerable profit.  So in other words, when the area starts booming again you'll have businesses knocking at your door to purchase the space.

    The second option is to find an agent that can find you someone who wants to live right smack in the middle of all that commerce.  Lots of people do, and are willing to pay for location location location.

    Even in real estate, basic stuff still rules --- demand drives cost.

    Good luck.

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 668 posts · 209 votes
    9y

    Interview several brokers with commercial experience and find one you and Dad can work with. The answer might be sell the house and land outright, or find a developer to build and lease the land from you. Everything is possible. Best of luck with your investment.

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Please make sure that you contact a Commercial Broker, not a residential Realtor. Big difference. Commercial will be more knowledgeable about zoning, land use, and most importantly price that commercial properties are selling for in the area.

    One acre for $1.5million?? That might be a little high. Phoenix is pretty hot right now, maybe now is the best time to pay for an appraisal from an appraiser who does commercial properties.

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 229 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Hi Jeromie Devera , could you shoot me an email? Interested in learning more about your property. Thanks.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Your post is a little confusing. You state that it was purchased by your parents then ask how you go about selling "our land". Are you are part owner. 

    If you are not  the owner then you simply suggest to your father that he have a professional appraisal done. It is not that expensive. If he is not interested in having it appraised then he does not want to sell and you simply let it go. Based on your statements it is pretty obvious he is not interested in selling. If you are not part owner just let it go till he changes.

  • Developer · Englewood, CO · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y
    Take your time on getting advice, can mean all the difference on potential value. Don't let anyone steal this from you. If you speak to commercial broker and they do not discuss the potential NNN value of the property then need to find someone who will. They will test your understanding. Retail Commercial Brokerage is a "shark tank". Also be very realistic of your own financial capacity, much different on commercial property
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.