New Real Estate Investor - Looking for some feedback / assistance

New Real Estate Investor - Looking for some feedback / assistance

Lemont, IL · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello,

I am a new MBA looking to complete my first investment property transaction. I am pre-approved for conventional financing and would like to start with an owner occupied Multi-Family unit in Chicago with as little down as possible (3.5 or 5%) in a property that cash flows at least $500 per unit. I would like to find a property to potentially improve and am leaning towards a good location like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Logan, or West Town. I would like to focus on large rents for cash flow but also max my leverage and get an asset in the 800-900k range for potential buy and hold. I'm a little hung up on where to find a good value. MLS is retail and there are some attractive properties there but I would like to find a 3 or 4 flat at a discount somewhere. Also, I would like to buy this first property with the second in mind and try to set up an equity scenario that I could use to make my second purchase. Additionally, I would like to play the owner occupied game a few times to acquire properties without large down payment requirements. So, here are my questions:

- Is MLS acceptable for finding my first investment property?

- 810k is max financing on 4 flat for non jumbo as I don't have more than 20% to put down.  Where could I find additional funds over the 810k if I wanted something a little more?

- Where should I look for a GREAT value to hit a home run on this first transaction?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

0Reply
7 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    Hi @David Klaas! Welcome to BP!

    Your top end certainly allows for a larger range. Get in contact with @Brie Schmidt. She's an investment-only realtor on the north side who focuses on folks just like you, who are in a similar position with similar wants.

  • Investor · ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Keep looking for wholesalers not realtors. You might find one in poor condition. These are established neighborhoods.

    This is like trying to get a brand new Mercedes at half price. 

    I wish you best of luck.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    Good morning David! 

    I am Realtor eine Chicago and have helped many investors with their properties. I also own some myself. 

    I have access to off market properties but suggest using MLS as well. I would focus on the list price as everything is negotiable.

    Feel free to reach out to discuss further.

    You can find a private lender to fill in the gap on your financing. 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    Hello David, 

    You can certainly find something in that price range in Logan Square as Logan Square is still "up and coming" to a large degree.  Do some research on Logan Square.  In general, real estate values are higher towards the North and East parts of the neighborhood.  In Lincoln Park or Lakeview, it is less likely unless it is on a main street, backs up to the L, or needs a lot of work.  

    The MLS is an acceptable place to find properties IMO, but it can frequently be a challenge as much of what is listed on the MLS significantly overpriced. Sometimes it takes a little bit of luck and the ability to act quickly when a well priced property appears on the MLS as there could be competition. It can also require some creativity to visualize what a property can be and see its potential future value in that.

    I would contact a quality mortgage broker in regards to your questions in terms of financing.  

    Best of luck!  

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    Hey David!

    Congrats on the property. I would definitely say that MLS is acceptable for a buy and hold scenario. Also, some of the areas I would recommend are more north like Ravenswood or Lincoln Square (I live in Lincoln Square and it's really nice!)

    In terms of additional funds, private lenders would work depending on your debt to income - there are requirements for loans. Also, if you do FHA the debt to income limit is higher so that might be a good idea.

    Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    @David Klaas - Welcome to BP!  Like @Eric L. mentioned, I was his agent and I only work with 2-4 buyers on the north side.  

    The MLS can be hit or miss, I find the good stuff comes in waves followed by a few months of a dry spell (currently in one). It takes 6-9 months for my clients to find the right place, so you need patience.

    Lending requirements are that the down payment must come from personal funds, with about $14k being allowed as gift funds. You can use seller credits to cover the closing costs, but are still going to need funds to cover the down payment, closing costs (assume 3%) and three months of PITI payments.

    I don't see many good deals off the MLS, especially on the north side. Properties are going within a week and with multiple offers, so why would a seller let it go for cheap when it is a seller's market? It is usually only properties that need a gut rehab that I see off market

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.