Buy own place or rent and invest?

Buy own place or rent and invest?

NYC, NY · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 22 votes
Currently live in nyc. Apartment is not cheap- but coming up with 20% Down (if not more) for a pad in nyc is expensive. Currently buying SFHs And MFHs elsewhere while trying to minimize spending in nyc. People tell me I'm stupid to be paying rent but it seems to make sense as I continue to grow my retirement portfolio. Thoughts?
0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Queens, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 64 votes
9y

I've been struggling with this.  On the one hand there is the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" theory that your primary home is a liability, NOT an asset because it takes money out of your pocket each month instead of the other way around.  However, I have come around to believing that in certain markets like NYC, where appreciation over the long term is guaranteed (think 10 year stretches), your home is absolutely a (very valuable) asset. 

Yes, coming up with a down payment is tough, but if you do have say 200k liquid, the question is what's a better investment for 10 years? 

Scenario 1: Buy multiple cash flowing properties in the Midwest and keep renting in NYC

- Earn 15% cash-on-cash return per year = $30k per year x 10 years = 300k profit

- Very modest appreciation (let's say 100k to be generous) 

- Total profit = 300k + 100k = 400k (I'm being very generous here)

- Keep in mind if you sell the homes at the end of the 10 years all your profit is taxable since you don't live in the properties.  Even if you were offsetting the profits with depreciation write-offs, there will be a depreciation recapture upon the sale by the IRS.  

- Also keep in mind you will be spending at least $2.5k per month on rent to continue living in NYC while you invest out of state.  This adds up to -$300k in total rent spent over 10 years, for which you get zero deductions or equity.

Scenario 2: Purchase your home in NYC

- Take your 200k and lever it up to buy a $1mm property that's going to appreciate on average 4% per year in NYC, compounded, so $1mm x 1.04^10 = $1.480mm for a profit of $480k. 

- That entire gain is tax free, since it is your primary residence

- Your monthly payments will be over 4k per month, but almost half of that is going toward your own equity and the other half is a tax write-off that reduces your taxable income and possibly brings you to a lower tax bracket.

SUMMARY: I'm not quite ready to declare victory for purchasing your home in NYC, but I have to admit, I just convinced myself a tiny bit more.  What do people think of my rough analysis?  One last thing to consider is that this really only works if at the end of the 10 years, you are willing to cash in your chips and move somewhere cheaper.  Because if you decide to "trade up" for a bigger property in NYC in 10 years, that property will have also appreciated a lot, so you'll be buying high and spending a ton, and the profit will have been on paper only.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 420 posts · 172 votes
    9y
    In NYC the right thing to do is rent. Owning a home here is a huge liability especially a SF. Even if you get a multi here expenses would be huge.
  • Queens, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    I've been struggling with this.  On the one hand there is the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" theory that your primary home is a liability, NOT an asset because it takes money out of your pocket each month instead of the other way around.  However, I have come around to believing that in certain markets like NYC, where appreciation over the long term is guaranteed (think 10 year stretches), your home is absolutely a (very valuable) asset. 

    Yes, coming up with a down payment is tough, but if you do have say 200k liquid, the question is what's a better investment for 10 years? 

    Scenario 1: Buy multiple cash flowing properties in the Midwest and keep renting in NYC

    - Earn 15% cash-on-cash return per year = $30k per year x 10 years = 300k profit

    - Very modest appreciation (let's say 100k to be generous) 

    - Total profit = 300k + 100k = 400k (I'm being very generous here)

    - Keep in mind if you sell the homes at the end of the 10 years all your profit is taxable since you don't live in the properties.  Even if you were offsetting the profits with depreciation write-offs, there will be a depreciation recapture upon the sale by the IRS.  

    - Also keep in mind you will be spending at least $2.5k per month on rent to continue living in NYC while you invest out of state.  This adds up to -$300k in total rent spent over 10 years, for which you get zero deductions or equity.

    Scenario 2: Purchase your home in NYC

    - Take your 200k and lever it up to buy a $1mm property that's going to appreciate on average 4% per year in NYC, compounded, so $1mm x 1.04^10 = $1.480mm for a profit of $480k. 

    - That entire gain is tax free, since it is your primary residence

    - Your monthly payments will be over 4k per month, but almost half of that is going toward your own equity and the other half is a tax write-off that reduces your taxable income and possibly brings you to a lower tax bracket.

    SUMMARY: I'm not quite ready to declare victory for purchasing your home in NYC, but I have to admit, I just convinced myself a tiny bit more.  What do people think of my rough analysis?  One last thing to consider is that this really only works if at the end of the 10 years, you are willing to cash in your chips and move somewhere cheaper.  Because if you decide to "trade up" for a bigger property in NYC in 10 years, that property will have also appreciated a lot, so you'll be buying high and spending a ton, and the profit will have been on paper only.

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 22 votes
    9y
    Eric, Thanks for the detailed analysis. I do appreciate all the responses. I'm in a situation where fortunately I can afford something in the city but yes, I do see it somewhat of a liability. After reading your post, however, I'm reconsidering potentially picking something up. I've been trying to cut out the amount of cash I spend allowing nyc to baby me (delivery dinner) and trying to push some of that into a down payment for another investment over numerous months/years. It's about the little things trying to grow the business. Back to dreaming about retirement!
  • Queens, NY · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    @Peter Assaad maybe the thing to do is to buy the condo in NYC with the 200k, then soon after, you take 10% equity out (100k) to invest in cash flowing  properties elsewhere.  Sure your monthly housing payments go up, but hopefully you can more than offset that with your positive cash flow in the midwest.  Then you are killing the proverbial two birds with one stone.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.