Homepath Property taken off market at 99 DOM

Homepath Property taken off market at 99 DOM

Vincentown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes

I was bidding on a homepath proeprty which underwent 2 price reductions. From $225k, $220k, down to$209k. These price drops happened at even intervals (~34 days). We were bidding back and forth for a few exchanges, and they were playing ball even with our relatively low offers. They were slow to respond and counter, usually about 7-10 days in between each time. At one point they rejected out offer, a week went by, they dropped the asking price to $209k, at which point we resubmitted a higher offer at $190k. Keep in mind this is small house a rural area that needs work, 3 acre property, cold market. There were no other offers that we know of. 3 weeks after we submitted this offer, we had still heard nothing (our offer was still "active/under review" in the system. Then at 99 DOM, the house changed to Temporarily off market in the MLS. about a week later it dissapeared from the MLS, and the homepath website status is "Not Available".

I find it very strange that the house changed to "Temp off market" at the exact time that the price most likely would have been reduced again.  Coincidence? Our offer still remains at "active/under review", although the house has been off the market for about 5 weeks now.  I drive by occasionally, and they still cut the grass and clean the house weekly.

Our initial offer was 170k while it was listed 220k.  It just seems strange to me that they would play ball with an offer that low but ignore an offer at 190k when the asking price is 209k.  Is this a tactic to reset the DOM count in Trend MLS?  I figured the most likely scenario is that there is some kind of title issue with the property that is being resolved.  The more I think about it, I think it's maybe possible they just weren't getting the offers they wanted so they de-listed it to give it some time.   What are some possible reasons for this?  

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 27 votes
10y

there are a million possible reasons for this - difficult to resolve title issues, improper foreclosure, consideration for alternate channel for sale, environmental issues that need addressing, legal issues associated with the property or former owner. The list is endless.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    there are a million possible reasons for this - difficult to resolve title issues, improper foreclosure, consideration for alternate channel for sale, environmental issues that need addressing, legal issues associated with the property or former owner. The list is endless.

  • Tzvi BalsamPro Member
    Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    @Mark C.

    Try contacting the broker to see whats going on, It might be  great opportunity to get a great deal now. 

    Spoke to someone today that had a similar story, and he went to the bank and got a great deal. 

    Do not give up off the mls on an REO means nothing.

  • Vincentown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Tzvi Balsam 

    I have contacted the broker multiple times, both by phone and email.  He doesn't respond and his voicemail is full (I'm assuming on purpose).  I was told these brokers only make a couple hundred dollars and thus don't really care.  They simply list the property for Fannie Mae, they have no interaction on the sale.  After multiple times he finally responded via email and said "The property is off market", which I already knew.  I'm assuming he is probably left out of the loop by Fannie Mae.

    The property is owned by Fannie Mae, so I also tried contacting them directly. They won't say anything about the property over the phone, except that it is "not currently available" and will most likely be for sale in the future (6 months, 5 years, who knows). As far as I know, there is no other way to buy a property from Fannie Mae, unless the property is listed for sale. Offers are made via their online system on homepath.com. Have you ever heard of somebody buying a FM Homepath property that isn't listed in MLS? Thanks for the help.

  • Tzvi BalsamPro Member
    Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    @Mark C.

    Sorry mark, the guy I was talking about went direct to the bank.

  • Investor · South Ozone Park, NY · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    @Tvzi Balsam,

    This is what the REO brokers from Fannie Mae are notorious for, what I have found works for me is you get an independent agent to register with Fannie and the put in your offer, have them follow up the next day with a phone call, just make sure you have your proof of funds available to submit with said offer, and make sure you have done your due diligence, as most of these REO'S are loaded with violations that they pass on to you. By the way the # of days on listing don't ever reset.

    Good luck.

  • Vincentown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Hem Kumar:

    @Tvzi Balsam,

    This is what the REO brokers from Fannie Mae are notorious for, what I have found works for me is you get an independent agent to register with Fannie and the put in your offer, have them follow up the next day with a phone call, just make sure you have your proof of funds available to submit with said offer, and make sure you have done your due diligence, as most of these REO'S are loaded with violations that they pass on to you. By the way the # of days on listing don't ever reset.

    Good luck.

    Hey Hem, the property is currently off market (or at least "Temp. off market"), it is not active.  It is labeled as "not available" on the FM Homepath website.  I don't think I can actually submit and offer on a non-active property.  Although in the system, our offer still reads as "active/under review", although the property is "not available".  I guess they just never rejected it, I'm not sure why.

  • Investor · South Ozone Park, NY · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Like i said before, get an agent to act on your behalf and go to FANNIE directly and inquire as to the status of the listing and your offer.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    If you're really interested, do some research....review the actual foreclosure file, see if they are trying to reopen, missed a junior lien, etc.

  • Vincentown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    If you're really interested, do some research....review the actual foreclosure file, see if they are trying to reopen, missed a junior lien, etc.

     Hey Wayne, that's a great idea.  How do I get access to those files?  Thanks for the advice,

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Learn your local county records systems, clerk of court, recorder's office, whatever it's called there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.