Found a great Deal - Need help with Owner Financing Terms

Found a great Deal - Need help with Owner Financing Terms

Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 4 votes

I found a great off-market flip deal where the owner is willing to do owner financing (great for me since I've exhausted my personal credit on other rehabs) My summary and specific questions are below:

The Deal: $250k purchase price, 10% down, $50k rehab costs, $375k minimum ARV

Structuring the Terms: 

1) Owner is giving three financing options:

a.Amortized 6 month loan w/ scheduled provided by Seller (interest of early pay off will be required)

b.Balloon 6 month loan w/ scheduled provided by Seller (interest of early pay off will be required)

c.No monthly payment with amortized interest added to money due at time of closing

2) Owner wants to keep title under their name until loan is paid off, but the owner still has a note on the property. So, knowing that I won't have a big enough down payment to pay off their mortgage, is this legal? Are there contracts that could be used to work around this: Lease to Own? Contract for Deed?

I understand this is risky, but I'm eager to make this work no matter what in this extremely hot market! So, please don't tell me I shouldn't do it, tell me the best ways to protect myself and the best ways I can make it happen! Looking forward to the wisdom!

0Reply
21 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Brittany Harrington, I wouldn't make this kind of commitment w/o the title in my name. What's your recourse if he changes his mind after you've done all this work? If he doesn't need to sell, why isn't he just doing the reno himself and making the money?

    Based on your numbers above and using the 70% rule, you'd want to buy around $212k.

    I don't know, this sounds fishy to me. Don't let your enthusiasm for a deal get in the way of solid decision making. 

    That being said, you wrote "don't tell me I shouldn't do it, tell me the best ways to protect myself," so at a minimum:

    You need a clear title.

    You need an air-tight financing contract (reviewed by YOUR lawyer).

    You need a great contractor to keep you at $50k

    As an alternative: Would the owner be willing to partner on the flip? You run it as PM and bring in the some cash, then split the profits? They might get you around the title, equity questions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.