Deal Analysis, NW Ohio Duplex Rental-Units Occupied

Deal Analysis, NW Ohio Duplex Rental-Units Occupied

Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Hello All,

I’m hoping to get some advice on deal analysis for my very first (!!!) potential rental property.

The property is a duplex 2/1 (first floor), 1/1 (2nd floor). Completely updated inside/out with new mechanicals approximately 7-8 years ago. Updates include: roof, windows, kitchen, bath, furnace, water heater. Appliances (stove, microwave, fridge, washer/dryer) are supplied with upstairs unit. Tenants are responsible for supplying downstairs appliances. Lot size is approximately 100’ x 75’, front and back yard unfenced, no driveway or garage, street parking. Both units are currently occupied. Tenants pay all utilities except water.

The eventual possible upgrades that I thought of to increase property value are: addition of garage, driveway, fence, and central air. Additionally, the broker suggests that the rent in the downstairs unit could be increased by $50-100/month if the current tenants leave.

The property is in a decent neighborhood, but is adjacent to a bad neighborhood. (I’m unfamiliar with “alphabetical” neighborhood categorizations.) I will be getting comps later today.

This property is located in Ohio, and I live in Indianapolis. However, my sister (who brought me this deal) is a realtor and her broker is currently managing the property for 10% of the monthly rental fee. I would likely keep this PM.

The asking price is $24,900, combined rental income for both units is $790.00, fixed expenses are $107 monthly, other expenses are $364 monthly (mowing, repairs/maintenance, water). The realtor analysis projected “repairs/maintenance” in the “other expenses” category at $157/month based on $500/yr from actual maintenance for the past 2 years, but I thought this was really low, so I multiplied it by 4. Is that reasonable? For a 5 year conventional mortgage with 20% down, I calculated approximately $415/mo. for the mortgage payment.

My calculation of the monthly free cash flow after expenses is:

($790 x 0.083 vacancy rate) - $415 mortgage @ 5 yr - $471 expenses = -$161.00/mo

Broker calculation of the monthly free cash flow after expenses is:

($790 x 0.05 vacancy rate) - $138 mortgage @ 15 yr - $264 expenses = $350.00/mo

My number is obviously very different than the analysis I received from the broker, mainly because I used a 5 vs. 15 year loan period, increased the “Other Expenses” by 4-fold, and increased the vacancy rate from 5% to 8.3%. By my calculation, this is not a good deal.

My questions for this property are…am I being too stringent with the expenses/vacancy rate? I could potentially do a cash deal; would that be significantly better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!

0Reply
29 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Sarah Donatelli, just to address one point:- why only a five year mortgage? 

    THAT is an unnecessary extra $200+ per month out of your pocket right there! 

    Yes, I know, we all like the idea of paying our debts off as quickly as possible. But the point you might be missing is: it's not YOU who is paying that debt, so there shouldn't need be that hurry. By retaining the extra $200+ cash flow per month, you will still have a choice later to pay it off early, or re-invest it into another one. Mind you, I don't know who's Lending out less than $50k to begin with, so is it that an UNCONVENTIONAL loan at high interest might be part of your issue?...

  • Fix & Flip / Buy & Hold / Wholesaler · Toledo, OH · Member since 2016 · 99 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Hi @Sarah Donatelli!  I am starting to invest in Ohio as well.  Can you let me know your agents name?  Id be interested in the PM as well as Ill need one.

    Thanks!
    Rob

    @Sarah Donatelli

  • Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 245 votes
    10y
    The comps will give you a much better idea if it is indeed a good deal. Make sure you exclude the ones in the 'bad neighborhood' you said is close. Also, is this a true duplex (i.e. was it built originally as a multi-family), or is it an SFR which was converted? Sounds like it might be the latter. That will impact what you look for in your comps (mfr vs. sfr), as well.
  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Brent Coombs,

    Thank you for the input! You bring up a great point...one that lead me to this excellent blog post: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/08/0...

    As I mentioned, I'm new to REI, and I intuitively want to pay off the debt as quickly as possible.

    As for your comment on the loan, I haven't secured (or started to look for!) a lender yet. I've got a few contacts from my agent for small community banks and am going to start that process shortly. Stay tuned!

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Schroeder,

    Thank you for the info! Is there any reason that you exclude properties in the undesirable neighborhood? Would that not bring property value down, or is it simply not a comparable property?

    I will also find out the initial designation of the house and factor that into my analysis. 

    Thanks again!

  • Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 245 votes
    10y

    Oh, I made an assumption which may have not been correct in retrospect based on your follow-up question. I assumed your property was in Neighborhood X, and near you, there was a much worse Neighborhood Y.  Perhaps there was a formal neighborhood boundary or city limit, for example. I was just trying to say to make sure you were comparing apples to apples. I hope that is helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.