Nashville Market

Nashville Market

Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 3 votes

Hey all,

Wanted to run some thoughts by you:

Been looking in Nashville for a duplex to owner occupy for way way too long. Trying to figure out what is wrong/why I haven’t been able to get a hold of a place that follows the 40% Capital Expenditure rule or the 1% rent/cost rule.

Here’s what I’ve come up with:

Nashville sometime since the beginning of the recovery from the housing crash has become a very different city. Nashville has moved from a 16.99 Price-to-Rent ratio to a 23.18 ratio, which is high for a Metropolitan Service Area of 1.5 million. I’ve found that if you want a place in the greater Nashville area, the best deal you can find is .75% rent/cost. You can find places that are outside of the city or in areas of town I wouldn’t feel safe in, but that doesn’t work well for an owner occupied space.

To further complicate the issue, because Nashville has had such a run up in prices, multifamily sellers are trying to get a premium for their properties. The average sales price for a multifamily has been 10% less than the listing price, with some properties selling for 60% less than listing. And that’s just the multi-families that sell. Almost half, 44% of multifamily houses listed are not selling because the listing price is so far out of market.

Meanwhile my agent is dealing primarily with single family where it’s very common for homes to have multiple offers and sell for 10-20k over asking and encourages me to offer close to listing, which until now has caused me to rule out significantly overpriced multifamily listings.

I’ve thought about giving up and renting for a while until prices come back down, but recently have read a bit more on real estate cycles and am convinced that Nashville is in an expansion period (which is traditionally a great time to buy), rather than a hyper supply period and that if the Hoyt theory holds true, it could be another 10-15 years before prices come back down. One caveat, Nashville is really dependent on healthcare, with many ancillary health services headquartered here, so moves toward nationalized healthcare could affect the local economy in significant ways.

For now, I’m going to look for places that are .75% properties/ gross rent multiplier of 10-11/marginally positive cash flows. I’ve been holding off on having my agent put in offers that are significantly less than listing, but I think I am going to start making offers for what places are worth (aka what I think a property could reasonably sell for) regardless of crazy listing prices.

Thoughts?

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 64 votes
10y

@Luke G.

I agree - Nashville prices are ridiculous and most duplex owners base their valuation off comps rather than financials. 

I had to expand to the secondary and tertiary markets (Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Dickson, Columbia, Gallatin) for +1% rent-price deals. If you're only willing to buy in Nashville you have to find off-market deals. Direct mail and network with wholesalers, property managers and commercial brokers to find these deals before they hit the MLS.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    @Luke G.

    I agree - Nashville prices are ridiculous and most duplex owners base their valuation off comps rather than financials. 

    I had to expand to the secondary and tertiary markets (Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Dickson, Columbia, Gallatin) for +1% rent-price deals. If you're only willing to buy in Nashville you have to find off-market deals. Direct mail and network with wholesalers, property managers and commercial brokers to find these deals before they hit the MLS.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I have been having much of the same problem. Relocating from Florida and trying to find a deal. It has been near impossible. I finally found one that looked good, but I offered low (what it was worth) and got a ridiculous counter in return. I am new to this so that was good for experience.

    Good luck! I am staying positive. If it was easy everybody would be doing it. We will find something.

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    hey @Luke G.,

    I bought a duplex in Nashville last April.  And deals were hard to come by then too.  Properties that were at or below market value were either in sketchy areas or needed a ton of work.  There's just not a lot out there as you indicated.  As @Leo K. mentioned I've shifted my strategy to Antioch, hermitage and donelson areas.  Hope this helps.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hey Leo, Jelani, Brandon-

    Appreciate you guys responding, makes me feel like I'm not the only one experiencing difficulty in purchasing a multi-family during this market. 

    I think it's a great strategy to shift focus to areas a little further out, but because I am looking to own/occupy doesn't make sense this go around.

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 405 posts · 132 votes
    10y
    I am curious to what u are talking about in reference to the financials for multi family. If u are not using comps, I'm a newbie in this area of investing. Can you help me out on that, thanks.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hey All, 

    I'm new to Bigger Pockets and own a quadruplex in Nashville near Germantown and Marathon Village.  I get a call almost every month from someone looking to buy it.  The numbers offered though always seem ridiculous to me. Usually around 300k.  Why would I sell,  when I can clear that in less than 4 yrs?  I'd love to understand the rationale, if anyone could explain it to me?  Disclosure:  I work in the internet industry where valuations are crazy so maybe my view is skewed. lol

  • Investor · Nashville & Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 182 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    Are you marketing the property (MLS, craigslist, etc.) or are these just folks contacting you directly from mailings? Just because you are getting low offers does not mean that is the market value of your property.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    10y

    @Luke G. If you can't find a deal at the 1% rule, you're not trying hard enough. It's that simple. 

    Maybe you are looking in the wrong areas - ie: a duplex in east nashville that rents for 1,500 total might be worth 150k to you based on that rule, but it's worth 170-180k to me because I am going to tear it down, so stay away from areas with high development - you're going to lose to a developer every time. 

    You can buy a duplex in north nashville for 115-130k that will rent for 700-800 a side. That gives you your 1% rule. 

    Go out and look more.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Josh Braun I'm not soliciting. It's usually investors calling out of the blue and asking if I'm willing to sell. I think they base their assumptions on what the median rent is in the area and do the 1% rule. Like the previous gentleman mentioned though is that I'm in a high growth area and my rents have increased 70% in the last two years and show no signs of abating as the neighborhood continues to add more high end inventory. It just seems the delta between what a disciplined investor would offer and what I'd sell for in this market is too great.
  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Devan Mcclish:

    @Luke G. If you can't find a deal at the 1% rule, you're not trying hard enough. It's that simple. 

    Maybe you are looking in the wrong areas - ie: a duplex in east nashville that rents for 1,500 total might be worth 150k to you based on that rule, but it's worth 170-180k to me because I am going to tear it down, so stay away from areas with high development - you're going to lose to a developer every time. 

    You can buy a duplex in north nashville for 115-130k that will rent for 700-800 a side. That gives you your 1% rule. 

    Go out and look more.

     Hi Devan - Sounds like you're doing some ground-up development. What sort of psf numbers are you finding for ground-up development (rough range). I'm relocating from South Florida and trying to guage both ground-up costs and rehab costs for a rough basis.  South Florida is expensive due to labor shortages, rules & regs and increased code scrutiny. Curious what challenges I should expect in Nashville.  I tend to do rehab and hold for a while or do live-n-flips rather than full-blown ground up development.  TIA.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    9y

    @Viviana Rueda 110-120 psf depending on finishes. The code department here is ridiculous. They will change the rules and regulations on you daily. The challenge is finding the ground cheap enough - it's possible but most people right now are overpaying for dirt. Rehab costs really depend on what you're doing but I'm at 45-50 psf for full gut

  • Franklin, TN · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Devan Mcclish Hey Devan, my name is Elijah Dangerfield. I am a newbie in Middle Tennessee. I know you're a busy guy but I would love to ask you a few questions for an experienced investor such as yourself. Let me know if this is an option for you.
  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    9y

    @Elijah Jay Dangerfield send me a pm on here with questions

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.